Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith 25EC58 Ghosting Problem

I started two threads like this relating to the same issue before at both Videokarma and antiqueradios, but haven't had much success. I figured I will give it one more try before I give up.

This thread is for a Zenith Chromacolor II with a 25EC58 chassis and space command.

You can see in the pictures the trouble I am having. Ignore the blurriness and just look at the bright white outline around some of the images. In one of the pictures, you can actually see the horizon start to go through a person's body in the foreground. The bright outline is most distinct when there is a large contrast in the same frame, like a dark object on a light background. Also notice that there is a black outline on the left side of the image as well. I thought this issue could just be because of the VCR or tape, but it does the same thing with a cable box also. Tuning and AFC doesn't help.

A repairman looked at it and noticed that the focus control on the back of the set seemed to adjust the brightness. He told me to replace the HV tripler or the focus dial. I tried both and neither of them worked. The focus still controls brightness. I am not sure if the issue with the focus control is even causing the initial ghosting problem.

Most people at antiqueradios.com told me that it might be caused by a bad electrolytic capacitor somewhere in the set. Since I have never actually troubleshooted a circuit board at a component level and since my meter is very inaccurate when set to ohms, I was hoping someone here at videokarma.org could give me a more definite answer. I don't know where to even begin looking for a bad cap and am not sure if that is even the problem.

Feel free to sell me any parts for this television that you think might help. At this point, I am willing to try anything. Also check out my Videokarma classified thread for a 9-57-VCR module that I am looking for.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=254352
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (110.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (73.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (106.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 4A.JPG (128.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 5A.JPG (62.1 KB, 16 views)