Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:30 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
C-45 in the Sams is going to B-. B- is represented by the taper horizontal line symbol. Chassis is represented by the symbol with diagonal lines I circled at the top.

Your right Bob, I didn't catch the top symbol you circled for ground, Sams' had their own notation. With the correction you noted, then leaves some of the filament bypass caps in the set incorrectly grounded. I'm using the Wallaces' Motorola book which show C-18,24,27,28,33,79 and 80 to chassis ground. I used sams folder 71-12 to cross check. Zsuttle should probably use the riders schematic from the ETF. It would probably be more accurate.
Ed
I did some more checking today, it seems the ETF Riders schematic for the TS-4J is for the early version. I added a picture of the schematic for the late version power and filament supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorola TS-4J -late.jpg (76.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by EdKozk2; 07-18-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Tinker

Added a schematic to the previous post.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Definitely do not connect anything to the chassis.

Ah, that's weird. What caps do you mean exactly? There are two electrolytics in the audio circuit and neither goes to B++.

If you mean the 20uF cathode bypass on the audio output tube, it should only have about 9 volts across it. Perhaps that 25L6 has a short or is miss wired ?

The other is a 10uF in the FM ratio detector that should only have a few volts across it as well.
Ah, my mistake, I glanced at the A and assumed it was from the power supply when I was looking things over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Your right Bob, I didn't catch the top symbol you circled for ground, Sams' had their own notation. With the correction you noted, then leaves some of the filament bypass caps in the set incorrectly grounded. I'm using the Wallaces' Motorola book which show C-18,24,27,28,33,79 and 80 to chassis ground. I used sams folder 71-12 to cross check. Zsuttle should probably use the riders schematic from the ETF. It would probably be more accurate.
Ed
I did some more checking today, it seems the ETF Riders schematic for the TS-4J is for the early version. I added a picture of the schematic for the late version power and filament supply.
I see that the SAMs has a few mistakes. Where can I get the full schematic from? I'm still tracing out the power supply using the new schematics and all. Also, just wondering what's the difference between the Late and Early versions?

Last edited by Zsuttle; 07-19-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:21 PM
RCA 741PCS

You can download Motorola service info from the Early TV Foundation here: http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_sc..._motorola.html

I belivebe the only mistake with the Sams is showing some of the filament bypass caps going to B- when they should be the chassis.

They changed the ballast tube and the contrast control circuit from the early to late TS-4J. There may be other very minor differences. The power supply circuit is the same.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Alright, I've gone over the schematic with a fine tooth comb and determined that every component is in its proper place. (I'll give it to Motorola to make things difficult) Both diodes were installed correctly and the same with all of the caps. Any advice?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsuttle View Post
Alright, I've gone over the schematic with a fine tooth comb and determined that every component is in its proper place. (I'll give it to Motorola to make things difficult) Both diodes were installed correctly and the same with all of the caps. Any advice?
If all you are saying that diodes and caps are correctly installed then it may be a good idea to trace the ac to find out if any part of the ac was moved in the filiment string to any of the b+ and or b++ by accident or simply a mistake. The only place in the DC circuit that will have ac would be on one side of the diodes to change ac to DC .
Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 AM
M is for Memory

Another thing to beware is heater to cathode shorts...
Also, you are sure your diodes are installed correctly, right?... May want to double check with a DMM in DC volts mode connected between B++ and B- during power up...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

It may also be worth checking to chassis ground because who knows what was done to the chassis already and what may have been bad or shorted out already like possibly the filiment caps to ground or maybe a carbonized .470 resistor to chassis. It is a stretch but being the problem is becoming a headache, why not.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I can definitely confirm that some of the caps going to chassis have shorted. Curious, because on my meter they still show the proper capacitance, however the resistance is just a few ohms. I think this could be the issue causing the diodes to blow. Still on vacation, once I return I’ll be able to tell if that’s been the only problem.

Cheers,
Zach
Old 07-29-2018, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

You have to lift one leg of the capacitor befor you check capacitance or ohms.
Audiokarma
Old 07-29-2018, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
You have to lift one leg of the capacitor befor you check capacitance or ohms.
Yeah, I’ve made a habit of doing that or completely removing components to test them
Old 02-10-2019, 01:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Alright, well finally managed to get a HV up and running as well as isolate a short. I was able to get a decent picture as well, though it has a slight horizontal jitter. Any thoughts? What's the best way to isolate the source?

Besides the few size adjustments, not too bad.
20190210_145005.jpg
Old 02-10-2019, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have 6 of these Motorola sets and 2 of them are ts4j chassis and it don't matter early or late, there are Micas in the horizontal and verticle change them you may be surprised at the result as I was with my sets as all my sets but 2 I had to change the Micas in both horiz and vert , they were bad. I had jitters from both sides of deflection as well as verticle would not lock to the horizontal not being right. OH and also look into resistors around the verticle and horizontal circuits they will probably be out of tolerance .

Last edited by timmy; 02-10-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Tinker

The test pattern looks good. Glad to see you stuck with it on the TS-4J. You may want to try swapping tubes for the horizontal oscillator and afc tube. Maybe corroded sockets and ground connections, rivets. Try the easy solutions first.
Ed
Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tried swapping tubes and cleaning a little bit to no avail. I don't have many mica caps, so I'll have to order them. Hopefully that should work.

Thanks all,
Zach