Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Late 1940s Admiral Bakelite Tabletop TV For Sale Locally

Hello, I was browsing through facebook market place this afternoon and I came across an old Admiral Bakelite TV Set from the late 1940s, for sale that appears to be in near mint condition except for a dry rotted cord (it even still has the channel indicator bezel intact which is usually missing on this particular set.

see the link below for the pictures and description of the TV in question.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner

My question is, the owner of the set wants $85 firm for the TV, and she wont budge from that price, is that a reasonable price for that set and should I go get that set as a restoration project?

Thanks for your help in this matter.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

They are nice sets, with a transformer power supply as opposed to the "hot chassis" that many others have. Of concern would be the CRT, 7JP4. If that tube is a dud, there are used ones in good condition out there. But they are costly. So, if the cosmetics are perfect, good cabinet, no cracks (or repairs), all knobs, the back cover etc. I might be inclined to buy it (Meaning you, of course, I have one in queue). It is your call.

Restoration should be straight forward ala Admiral. Turret tuner, power transformer etc.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:17 AM
M is for Memory

They are among the better electrostatic deflection sets out there, but remember that means they have a few 6KV paper caps that have to be replaced and are costly to replace... Advice on the CRT above should be taken in to account.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-28-2020, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
They are nice sets, with a transformer power supply as opposed to the "hot chassis" that many others have. Of concern would be the CRT, 7JP4. If that tube is a dud, there are used ones in good condition out there. But they are costly. So, if the cosmetics are perfect, good cabinet, no cracks (or repairs), all knobs, the back cover etc. I might be inclined to buy it (Meaning you, of course, I have one in queue). It is your call.

Restoration should be straight forward ala Admiral. Turret tuner, power transformer etc.
I was thinking of picking it up Friday when I get paid.

The pictures show that the TV Set is complete and in very good cosmetic condition.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
They are among the better electrostatic deflection sets out there, but remember that means they have a few 6KV paper caps that have to be replaced and are costly to replace... Advice on the CRT above should be taken in to account.
I'll definitely keep those things in mind.
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2020, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those are nice sets — among the best-performing 7-inch TVs, and not terribly difficult to restore. This article describes how I restored mine:

https://antiqueradio.org/Admiral19A12Television.htm

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil’s Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old 01-30-2020, 04:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would take a chance on the CRT (I've had bad one's, but way more good ones) being good at that price, although if you can chew the seller down a little bit more, go for it. It's a appealing set and, like the others stated, a very solid performer.
I got mine from the son of the original owner, from the original home. It was never stowed away, so it's super clean. My repairman friend restored the chassis and it's performed excellent since then:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00768.JPG (59.0 KB, 24 views)