Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2017, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
(That feel when these forums don't have a [youtube] BBCode.)

Suffice it to say (in text)...

IT'S ALIVE!

Boy, you guys both called it! The 1U4 and 1R5 were switched. That's exactly what it was, only those two. I'm happy to say it's working nicely, even sounds halfway decent (I also repaired like 5 big cracks in the speaker cone, so I feel good about that). I thought for a minute it wasn't tuning anything on the high end, so I consulted another radio only to find there are like no stations between 1100 and 1600. But actually, there is one at the very tippy-top that a newer radio could get, but this one can't. But it does tune everything else on down. Oh well, I consider this little quirky radio to have made a full recovery nonetheless.

Thanks guys! I finally fixed something! (That I've posted here lol)

Clear? Wow. Yeah, I never had the knobs. This thing was so abused. Clear, huh? I wonder if I could get some clear rod stock... maybe a horizontal blinds adjustment thingy rod? Cut knobs out of it and polish the ends. Hmm.

omg... I feel stupid. I only barely googled it, I just assumed there would be no diagrams available. And you know what happens when you assume. Thanks bro, I downloaded all 5 pages (I have hax). What bs is that though? Why don't they just put all the pages of each thingy into one pdf and then allow only 3 downloads per day? Psh.

No worries mates, the leads are far from each other. Plus, I just slapped it together, wanted to make it work first, I'll insulate it somehow. Later. This... this radio has been so abused, it's not like some guy with a jeweler's lens is going to appraise this, or something. And isn't it amazing how much smaller the caps are? Especially in the PSU. You could fit like 20 of the new caps inside the one old one.

Actually, it reads 65v, so maybe the recitfier is weak or something, but it's still more than enough to make it work, which it is currently. Btw, fun fact, I have the original B battery, like the exact same one in the photo on the diagram.
Mine's kind of a beater as well. The radio is in better shape than the clock/PS unit. The clock movement is broken loose from the case front.
Also, I discovered the radio has a bad IF transformer, crackling, low sensitivity.
I had it working fine about 10 years ago, replacing the 'lytics in the PS unit.
Audiokarma