Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

MadMan wrote: Clear? Wow. Yeah, I never had the knobs. This thing was so abused. Clear, huh? I wonder if I could get some clear rod stock... maybe a horizontal blinds adjustment thingy rod? Cut knobs out of it and polish the ends. Hmm.

They were very much like mini-blind rods, clear plastic with ridges all around the edge, but solid on the front and they had a slightly raised pointer ridge, but you could just paint a line on the knob. What would be hard is to get the hole in the back right with the divider in it. Those shafts are split and the knob would just spin without the divider. The clock even has a sleep timer for the radio, which was a high-end thing in the 1950s. It didn't have a snooze control, though.

I wish I had mine to take a picture. It was in great condition on the outside, but the clock worked long after the radio quit and I loaned just the clock to someone and I'm not sure I ever got it back. The tips of the hands glow in the dark, or mine did.

That's great that you got your tubes in the right place and it works! I'm glad that's all it was.
This design reminds me of the optional radio that came in the 1958 Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs, the Trans-Portable. It worked in the car or out of the car on its own battery.

Last edited by jsowers; 01-22-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: fix quote