Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
No time for this hobby

Smile Cap order

I've spent the last couple days working on a list of caps needed. I'm getting close but I thought I'd chime in here and ask a couple things.
1) I've pretty much decided to order from either justradios.com or mouser. Any input you guys might give me would be appreciated. I'm a little worried about the time from Canada with Justradios. Has anyone had any problems? they seem quite a bit cheaper. I also had a heck of a time navigating through Digikeys website thats why I'm looking at these.
2) I have never filled an old can with caps like I was planning to do here. Should I be getting radials instead of axials? I figured yes. Is there a previous post around detailing this?

In the meantime I have been sanding away on my cabinet. I will post more pics when I'm a little farther along.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
No time for this hobby

Sometimes I've got to be more observant, Its the first thread in this section! Duh!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 PM
RCA 741PCS

I've ordered caps from both outfits. It does take a few days longer with the shipping from Canada, but JR has some stuff Mouser doesn't. 500v electrolytics and 6,000v poly caps for example.

I've been using radial Nichicons rated at -55C to 105C from Mouser lately with good results. They are fairly small and I haven't had any trouble fitting them into multi-section cans. I've also been going with Cornel Dubilier or Illinois Capacitor film caps, but, as you pointed out, they are more expensive than the generic yellow ones.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is a pretty tough tv to start with-they need a lot of caps, and are a lot more complicated than what came even five years later. I guess what also kills me with them is that those chassis weigh so much-I'm always struggling to move them around.

Keep us posted on your progress. I may have a spare chassis with some compatible parts on it should your set need them.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM
No time for this hobby

Tough TV?

Thanks for the offer Leadlike! I am just taking it slow for the time being. I am a little younger than alot of you guys and the weight doesn't bother me. It is a relief to hear you say this a tougher TV. The video portion seems like the easy part to change the caps. Getting into the audio and the tuner are going to be difficult especially if I don't tear them apart. I really did not want to mess with them much if at all possible. My plans are to spend a while finding the lay of the land sort to speak. I have bought and am going to buy a CRT tester, tube tester and variac before I order my caps now. I just need the Variac after today. After more testing I am going to change the caps and probably go for it. The only problems I have found so far are that the 1/4 amp fuse lead had broke right at the power supply and the screw part of my 1st video RF coil is missing. It looks like the resistance is close to double what it should be. Primary at .2 ohms and secondary at .8 ohms. (in fact exactly double the specs.) I may need a new coil here. Other than that everything is going great so far. I haven't found any bad resistors. Knock on wood! yet. I was kinda hoping this TV was a little bit of a tougher one. I am doing this as a big time learning experience! If I can do this with the background I have, I can do almost any of them after a little more experience! I also fully expect to have some major problems before it is complete. This is similar to the set that Bill Cahill did and posted progress on at antiqueradios.com. His thread was 61 pages long and it took him 3 years! He probably has more experience than most of the people on this site too! Although he had some other mitigating factors like health and sight to deal with it just seems like these older RCA models don't give you a break!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wouldn't worry about those resistance measurements. It's difficult to measure less than an ohm accurately.

John
Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
No time for this hobby

Thanx for the heads up. That is the kinda stuff us newbies really need to know. I won't worry much about it until I start powering it up.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
No time for this hobby

Picked up a set of RCA Pict-O Guides to read everything I can before getting started. I have all three volumes. If anybody ever needs anything out of them let me know.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Don't ASSUME yr CRT is bad before you check it, Young Jedi. That TV is nigh on to 60 yrs old, but it may not have been "played" all that much. Yr CRT might have a LOT of life left on it...
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 PM
No time for this hobby

I'm really not expecting the CRT to be bad. I hope to find out this weekend. I bought a CRT tester last Tues on that marketplace everyone loves so much and it should be here tommorow (Hope its ready to go, it was supposed to be!). Once I know the CRT is good I can justify more $$ to complete the TV. If the CRT is not good it will probably slow me down to a crawl. The TV would go into a corner until I found a CRT and I would probably even wait to recap the set. If that is the case I'd be looking for something else, probably a little easier and this time I could check the tube immediatly. I would probably do a better job on the RCA if I had a little more experience anyways. I'm optimistic though! I have been reading and absorbing as much info from here and Antiqueradios.com as I possibly can. The Picto guides are helping a little to. The knowledge you guys posess and the old way of doing things are intriging as hell to me. Twenty or thirty years from now I think this knowledge may become even more scarce and hopefully highly coveted again. Wouldn't it be a shame if the next generation didn't have a choice and had to settle for modern guts in these old cabinets? I'm sure it wouldn't be a matter of understanding the design or TV theory but it is going to be a matter of not having hands on experience. As an example I know very few if any kids, even those studying electronics that can use a soldering iron. My Dad showed me how to use one well before my teens. I'm just hoping sometime soon to have another example of "old school" American Ingenuity to show people that we lost something when we sent so much of our manufacturing overseas and perhaps priorities and mindsets can be changed. I say that as a back handed way of getting my teenage son to understand that old addage "Carpe Diem". Enough of that, this is supposed to be a tech thread!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:57 AM
RCA 741PCS

I bet your CRT has some life left too. Just curious - which CRT tester did you pick up ?

I remember having a set of those Picto guides years ago, but have no idea where they went. Might still be in my parents basement somewhere
Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
No time for this hobby

Well, after reading the directions on the B&K 445 I picked up, I started with a short. Blasted it for a second like the manual suggested and it registered as good. I pulled the tester off and put it away before I screwed something up. It dose have a setting to test how much life is left in the tube but I thought I'd hold off until I learned more about what the heck I am doing! I have also picked up about 1/2 my Caps and started replacing them. I can read schematics (barely) but I am struggling because both the schematics I got from Sams are not correct (One is for the TV and one is for the Audio). They are close to a combination of the two but they are not. I also have an extra tube not shown in either schematic. The fact that the numbering system for the tubes on the 2 schematics I have is different by 1 or 2 tubes doesn't help either. Amazingly most of the caps and Resistors are right where they should be with one exception. Something funky is going on with the filter caps. I'm having a problem figuring out which tab is A, B,C etc.. That is one reason I have only about 1/2 the capacitors. I am going to continue to stare at this thing for several more days before I ask for help. Your best learning can come from figuring things out by yourself. Other than that progress is going better than I expected, I was able to recap about 10 Caps in about 2 hours, not as fast as you guys I'm sure but alot quicker than I had anticipated
Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 AM
No time for this hobby

I figured out my schematic problem, the tube numbers messed me up. I put one schematic away and now I'm using one schematic. I shouldn't confuse the two anymore!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM
No time for this hobby

Ok, I have been hanging out waiting for the rest of my caps and some higher voltage wire to complete the underside of this set. I will take tons of pictures once I close in on completeing and will post them here. UPS tells me they will be here Monday. I have tested the CRT only. I have just bought a tube tester to check the topside tubes also. I have a line on a good Variac but just a quick question for someone. What kind of Amperage should I be looking at? I'm pretty sure by the time I'm done with both sets I have I will also be looking for an Oscilloscope too. The 56 RCA schematics are nice in that it includes all the waveforms you should be looking for when testing, that is why I say this. This is just an update and hopefully soon you'll be seeing some real progress.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM
No time for this hobby

Just a little update so you know where I stand on this set. It is fully recapped and I'm 95% done going through the resistors I was going to go through before powering up. I was doing great on the recapping until I hit the Electrolytes. I decided not to fill the original metal ones and for that I'm very sorry. I created a mess. It just looks uglier than a sow's ass. I refuse to show you guys pictures until I rewire a few things. I only had white wire and didn't rewire a lot of things I should have. I need to make it look cleaner. I have also put together a list of bad tubes. I count 8 bad ones(out of 30) and what is interesting is that most if not all of them are in the Audio Circuits. I wonder if this set was benched because it had no sound. Any hints here would be helpful. Well anyways I am going to double check those bad tubes and get them ordered and pick up my Variac this week. By then I should have my mess cleaned up and the last of the resistors changed out. I know one of the worst ones was for the voltage divider. That sounds pretty important to me Anyways I've learned more than I even imagined possible when I started this thread 5 weeks ago. I will say you guys are right when you say this isn't a good set for a newbie I am now measuring the capacitors I've taken out of this set by the pound! I've done it very slowly and used more patience than I thought I had. I hope I didn't make any major mistakes but I took the time to learn the circuits and with some luck I won't have too hard a time getting this set watchable. When I do power it up I may start a new thread if I do have some major problems. Thank You All for support.

Bret