Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Air Conditioning for TV studios (1964)

Article on requirements for TV studio air conditioning in 1964
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air cond for TV 1964 Arch Dig.pdf (681.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

CBS Televison City boilers for heat/AC 1953
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CBS TV City boilers 1953.pdf (196.1 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 07-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

One also has to consider the unique requirements of the local government when it comes to designing the HVAC for broadcast facilities. When one of my previous employers built a new transmitter building in the mid-1970’s, the plan was to use the heat vented off the on-air transmitter as the sole heat source, with only a/c for equipment and technician survival due to brief but mild winters. The government office which issued the zoning and building permit wouldn't allow it and required installation of a heating plant equivalent to a home of equal size! Needless to say, it never got used. Even when occupied full-time prior to approval of full remote control, the worst of winters found “Harris PDM Heat” quite sufficient by the ‘mitter sitters. Funny story is, once the place was inspected by the Fire Marshall. And, the transmitter tech on duty had to call me back at the studio to tell him where the thermostat was!!! He’d never gotten too hot or too cold to worry about it!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Seconded, transmitter heat is usually enough, especially so when that transmitter is a tube model. Heat by Continental Electronics Power Rock at my local site. SS transmitter is a new Nautel.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

...Sounds like the main Post Office in Puerto Rico...It was a standard Gummint design, including Heaters, the locals told 'em they DID NOT need, or want heaters, but The Gummint being The Gummint, they put 'em in anyway...When my dad went there on business back in the Eighties, they took him there to look at & laugh at 'em...
Old 07-27-2012, 02:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Seconded, transmitter heat is usually enough, especially so when that transmitter is a tube model. Heat by Continental Electronics Power Rock at my local site. SS transmitter is a new Nautel.
The station I worked for had a water cooled transmitter and installed a large "cooling pond" at the transmitter complete with a deck, diving board and beach umbrellas. It was really great in the winter to swim in warm water when the air temperature was in the 30s.
Cliff