Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Central Dynamics Video Switcher/Keyer

This was at a local recycling resale depot and I couldn't resist paying $25.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...y/IMG_9202.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...y/IMG_9207.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...y/IMG_9208.jpg

In one word, it's impressive. Manufactured by Central Dynamics in Montreal with everything date stamped between 1976 and 1978. Serial number 005.
I have been unable to find any documentation for this so I'm not completely sure how to wire it up. Some of the connections are clearly marked but others are not. What are the odds the manual has been scanned in?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Assuming you get it powered up via careful investigation of polarity within the PSU board... The rest of the hookup is very straightforward. Three program out feeds, two preview feeds P/V...
Sync, subcarrier, blanking are looping inputs -- in via top, out to other stuff (or terminated 75 ohms) on the bottom. Likewise all the inputs are looping inputs (/L), with in at the top and out or term on the bottom. Tally is labeled. Chroma-key will need some research... but it's probably three or four pots to adjust things. They're on the front panel, so that's probably optional. External chroma key, downstream key might need some study too... but it's a vid input.

Effects out and black out on far left. I would guess effects is usually used internal to the switcher, but there may be circumstances it would need an output individually, I guess.

You'll need to find a sync generator to make things happen. And have all your sources timed to the switcher, which means no free-running DVD sources (unless it's the only one, and you sync to it...) I'm sure there are generic hook up charts for things like a Grass Valley 100 that would be similar you could use for reference.

That is, if it works.

If it doesn't, you can use it to control a spaceship or something...

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 AM
The Resident Brony

Neat.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool switcher. I had the pleasure of having a 3M/E version in a small truck back in the day. Lots of power for a fraction of the cost of a GVG back then.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Five years later I by chance stumbled on a flyer from World Radio History that advertises products from Central Dynamics in 1977. The VS-14 is included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (98.3 KB, 13 views)
Audiokarma
Old 02-25-2023, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for rescuing it. Most of those places, if it doesn't sell, it goes straight into the dumpster.
The last analog switcher I worked with was an Ampex AVC. I remember changing a switch on it with only 5 minutes to spare prior to late news. The switch had shorted out and locked up the bus!
When we were purchased and moved into the new building, they bought a Grass Valley Kalypso digital switcher. I remember going to the in house school on it and it was all software.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ampex Switcher.jpg (63.8 KB, 11 views)