Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > 21st Century Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nintendo Wii - Video Output Trouble

I've had a Wii for 11 years, connected to the same TV via component output. Last weekend the kids went to use it, and it had no video output (black screen) but did have audio. I swapped to the composite cable, and it worked fine.

The next day I reverted back to the component cable, and it worked. Then it sat for the week until last night and we tried it again, and things mostly worked, but on an intermittent basis which got worse as time went on. There would be horizontal "tearing" in the top of the image as well as occasional dropouts (all black). We did observe that when playing "retro" NES games we have on the Wii, the video was issue-free, but when we went back to the Wii menu or played native Wii games, the problems recurred.

Has anyone encountered this sort of issue before? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
I've had a Wii for 11 years, connected to the same TV via component output. Last weekend the kids went to use it, and it had no video output (black screen) but did have audio. I swapped to the composite cable, and it worked fine.

The next day I reverted back to the component cable, and it worked. Then it sat for the week until last night and we tried it again, and things mostly worked, but on an intermittent basis which got worse as time went on. There would be horizontal "tearing" in the top of the image as well as occasional dropouts (all black). We did observe that when playing "retro" NES games we have on the Wii, the video was issue-free, but when we went back to the Wii menu or played native Wii games, the problems recurred.

Has anyone encountered this sort of issue before? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Try it on a different TV, to isolate the issue to the TV or the Wii itself.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I verified that the issue happens on other inputs and on another TV, so the problem is with the game console itself.