Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think Sony was a very well made solid state built tv from when Trinitron first came out. I liked the cabinet designs from ‘68 up till about late ‘70’s. I didn’t care for their design when they had the SG613 gate that would destroy many components. TV service guys hated those chassis. You had to replace with genuine OEM part. But that said, they made sets that generally needed less service than American made brands. When I worked at the tv shop we sold RCA, Zenith, and Sony TV’s. Sony sets always out performed Zenith, but they were a close second and RCA was third for reliability. I hated the flyback problems the CTC 120 had. Memory fuzzy it might have been CTC 124. It was the flyback that was made in Mexico that they discovered the windings were wound too tight. I remember the TSG (technical service bulletin) that had you use a light bulb brought up with a variac to determine if you had a shorted flyback
Sony KV-1220U
Old 08-20-2023, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

My parents had a Sony KV 1800 in 1972/73, it was still working perfect when Mam died in 1994, my sister then had it for a few years, it never conked out. I remember back then British made TV's would conk out on a regular basis. Cant ever remember brown outs, we'd have the odd power cut though...