Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-01-2018, 01:19 AM
Sparky's Avatar
Sparky Sparky is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central FL
Posts: 54
ALL caps are suspect after another remote session today. I hope you have a good cap checker that has leakage & rated voltage like the Sencore. Check at the linearity coil. Brown caps were all leaking at 200V & 600V ratings. Try not to use any yellow caps in the AC current circuits. HV bypass is OK but not current. I know, as see you are using Orange Drops, but I am speaking to the uninformed.
BTW same tangled mess in the pot.
I guess your yoke is OK or is that another one?
Keep us posted!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyrescue View Post
Good tip on the disc, never though to check it.
I had to replace the horizontal width pot as the fine wire was all tangled up inside and believe it shorted out taking the resistor on the back of it and the horizontal winding on the original yoke with it.
I also replaced the two caps in that area. I now have HV but it needs to be reduced.

Last edited by Sparky; 10-01-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 PM
Sparky's Avatar
Sparky Sparky is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central FL
Posts: 54
The original complaint was that the horizontal wouldn't hold/breakup if close to lock.

I replaced some bumblebee caps in the horizontal section. Great go home.

Next is a call that the vertical is bad. I go back and fix the lack of vertical/height.

The next call is that there is no sound, just a faint buzz at high volume.
It was then decided to solder all ground supports for the boards and any suspicious areas as well.

I note that something is noisy in the audio detector area. Tapping there produces lots of loud noise in the speaker. Okay, change the 6DT6, nope. Narrowed it down to A11.

While I'm in there, I take out the very microphonic A11 the quadrature trap. Then I noticed it. A piece of half clipped wire still attached to the center leg to one of the outer legs, shorting the winding. This was factory, as it was still connected to its master wire. Removed, reinstalled and aligned. Nice audio. Shame RCA.

Let's check the flyback as it looked like a lot of wax was on the bottom of the box, not unusual for a 59 year old TV.
Gahhhh! there is the 56pF cap with burn marks across the ground side of the cap from the bottom 22MΩ resistor. Replace what I have with me, clean what I don't. I never could get the H centering pot to move. Let's look at that. Frozen or should I say burnt in place.

A 90 mile round trip ride later back to my house, I have one. Need some resistors that are burned up in there too. Remove and replace. All looks good. Tested and all is good again.

Now let's look at some more caps and test for leakage. Remove, replace, reinstall chassis.

It's now around 1AM. No video. Well there is. Out of brightness and focus with a blue tint. The CRT socket is apparently intermittent. Next visit We're done for the night.

Now to this Oct 1st weekend. I made up a socket assembly from a bare short clipped unit. I found wire to match the original colors, just because. Dissembled the TV and benched it to look at the dissembled socket by drilling out the rivets. One of the factory solder connections to something blue related (I don't care at this point) which was never done. Solder it. Shame RCA. Check the focus connection. All fuzzy white, with a corroded pin and receiver. Clean Clean Clean. Replaced the chassis and all is good.
Still seems a bit narrow though. The vertical is not filling the CRT as well. Boost Voltage. Check the B+ you say. A bit low. 340 something volts instead of the 385V. Before the filter reactor the same. Line voltage is optimal.

It's late again..... Parts on order for next weekend's failure adventure.

All this on a TV that looked good after the first repair...

Last edited by Sparky; 10-02-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Tellyrescue Tellyrescue is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
ALL caps are suspect after another remote session today. I hope you have a good cap checker that has leakage & rated voltage like the Sencore. Check at the linearity coil. Brown caps were all leaking at 200V & 600V ratings. Try not to use any yellow caps in the AC current circuits. HV bypass is OK but not current. I know, as see you are using Orange Drops, but I am speaking to the uninformed.
BTW same tangled mess in the pot.
I guess your yoke is OK or is that another one?
Keep us posted!
Damn that chassis looks factory fresh! Can't say the same about mine, it's a little rusty and dirty.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Tellyrescue Tellyrescue is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
The original complaint was that the horizontal wouldn't hold/breakup if close to lock.

I replaced some bumblebee caps in the horizontal section. Great go home.

Next is a call that the vertical is bad. I go back and fix the lack of vertical/height.

The next call is that there is no sound, just a faint buzz at high volume.
It was then decided to solder all ground supports for the boards and any suspicious areas as well.

I note that something is noisy in the audio detector area. Tapping there produces lots of loud noise in the speaker. Okay, change the 6DT6, nope. Narrowed it down to A11.

While I'm in there, I take out the very microphonic A11 the quadrature trap. Then I noticed it. A piece of half clipped wire still attached to the center leg to one of the outer legs, shorting the winding. This was factory, as it was still connected to its master wire. Removed, reinstalled and aligned. Nice audio. Shame RCA.

Let's check the flyback as it looked like a lot of wax was on the bottom of the box, not unusual for a 59 year old TV.
Gahhhh! there is the 56pF cap with burn marks across the ground side of the cap from the bottom 22MΩ resistor. Replace what I have with me, clean what I don't. I never could get the H centering pot to move. Let's look at that. Frozen or should I say burnt in place.

A 90 mile round trip ride later back to my house, I have one. Need some resistors that are burned up in there too. Remove and replace. All looks good. Tested and all is good again.

Now let's look at some more caps and test for leakage. Remove, replace, reinstall chassis.

It's now around 1AM. No video. Well there is. Out of brightness and focus with a blue tint. The CRT socket is apparently intermittent. Next visit We're done for the night.

Now to this Oct 1st weekend. I made up a socket assembly from a bare short clipped unit. I found wire to match the original colors, just because. Dissembled the TV and benched it to look at the dissembled socket by drilling out the rivets. One of the factory solder connections to something blue related (I don't care at this point) which was never done. Solder it. Shame RCA. Check the focus connection. All fuzzy white, with a corroded pin and receiver. Clean Clean Clean. Replaced the chassis and all is good.
Still seems a bit narrow though. The vertical is not filling the CRT as well. Boost Voltage. Check the B+ you say. A bit low. 340 something volts instead of the 385V. Before the filter reactor the same. Line voltage is optimal.

It's late again..... Parts on order for next weekend's failure adventure.

All this on a TV that looked good after the first repair...
That's a pretty good rap sheet, I'm feeling mine is gonna be a similar way, I don't hold much hope for the flyback lasting any length of time. But you never know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2298.jpg (50.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2496.jpg (38.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2503.jpg (85.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2502.jpg (60.4 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 10,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyrescue View Post
That's a pretty good rap sheet, I'm feeling mine is gonna be a similar way, I don't hold much hope for the flyback lasting any length of time. But you never know.
The fly looks good, and IIRC you (or was it the other guy?) had HV. If it looks that good and works then there are a couple of things you can do to ensure it lasts.

First, go through the complete horizontal setup procedure and make sure to minimize the horizontal cathode current. The schematic probably quotes a max somewhere around 210mA when adjusted correctly it should never go above 200mA and 175-195mA is the typical minimum achievable. (this can be influenced by line and B+ voltage so feeding it a constant optimum line voltage through a regulating isolation transformer is a good move) If you can't get it more than 10mA below the max spec you may want to go over the parts in the horizontal section with a fine tooth comb to improve performance.


Second, if the first steps have been successfully run the set for intervals between 30 min and 4hours then power the set off and quickly feel it's temperature if it is close to body temp or cooler your good, but if it feels uncomfortably hot add some ventilation holes and or a cooling fan to the HV cage.


I've run sets with worse looking flys for years on daily driver status with this method and had 0 fly failures from it.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 10-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Tellyrescue Tellyrescue is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The fly looks good, and IIRC you (or was it the other guy?) had HV. If it looks that good and works then there are a couple of things you can do to ensure it lasts.

First, go through the complete horizontal setup procedure and make sure to minimize the horizontal cathode current. The schematic probably quotes a max somewhere around 210mA when adjusted correctly it should never go above 200mA and 175-195mA is the typical minimum achievable. (this can be influenced by line and B+ voltage so feeding it a constant optimum line voltage through a regulating isolation transformer is a good move) If you can't get it more than 10mA below the max spec you may want to go over the parts in the horizontal section with a fine tooth comb to improve performance.


Second, if the first steps have been successfully run the set for intervals between 30 min and 4hours then power the set off and quickly feel it's temperature if it is close to body temp or cooler your good, but if it feels uncomfortably hot add some ventilation holes and or a cooling fan to the HV cage.


I've run sets with worse looking flys for years on daily driver status with this method and had 0 fly failures from it.
It's something like that, I'm at the station right now but I have the factory manual at home, I have to dig out a meter capable of measuring that voltage, I have one of those old ones you can plug into the output tube socket on the old b&w sets but it doesn't not list 6DQ5 on its manual so I do not know if it will work
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Sparky's Avatar
Sparky Sparky is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central FL
Posts: 54
She's a real beauty. Takes me back to the 70's when I was servicing these "old" TV's. Old, if old is 20 years.

Didn't see if your yoke was any good or not. Let me know please.

Like the man said, check all the caps in and under the flyback cage. Check the 6DQ5 current. The 3A3 plate cap was burnt and changed to a Millen ceramic type. Check your Globar, this one's fell apart. Fuse the primary and change the N fuseholder to an AGC type. I don't do bayonet fuses, wire links of #28 or Belfuses.

BTW since changing caps in the flyback area, the power transformer runs a lot cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyrescue View Post
Damn that chassis looks factory fresh! Can't say the same about mine, it's a little rusty and dirty.

Last edited by Sparky; 10-02-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 PM
timmy's Avatar
timmy timmy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ferndale ny
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
Timmy, when you adjust the HV down to 25K, you will actually be putting more load on the flyback. Remember, the total load on the flyback is the sum of the current drawn by the CRT and the current drawn my the HV voltage regulator. As the scene on the CRT gets brighter, the CRT draws more current while the voltage regulator draws less and vice versa. The whole idea of shunt regulators is to present a constant current load to the flyback/HV rectifier under all screen brightness levels.
As electronic m noted in a previous post that leaving the hv to high does run the risk of arcing within the crt and damaging both the flyback and the crt.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Sparky's Avatar
Sparky Sparky is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central FL
Posts: 54
Enjoy the free chest and x-rays.
Better get that HV under control.
This leads me to the following report.

ALL of the resistors in the HV regulator circuit were waaaay off. Changed them all out with some 1% resistors as seen in the picture.

The focus resistors were even worse. 22M was like 43M. All were replaced with series-parallel 1%'ers to make up the high resistance and wattage values.
Caps in the HVR and the defective burned one were replaced as well.

After futzing around with why the width was shrunken. The 6DQ5 was replaced a few days ago by the owner. He reports full width and 710V of boost.

I placed an additional type AGC fuse & fuseholder in the existing holes in the top of the chassis. Changed out both the type N fuse & fuseholder for AGC. Now both the primary and secondary is fused.

This weekends adventure is fixing the vertical linearity. Everything has been replaced EXCEPT for the components in the yoke.

So I'm go'in all in.
Enjoy some pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flyback & Focus Rehab 1.jpg (70.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Flyback & Focus Rehab 2.jpg (80.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg High Voltage Rehab.jpg (114.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Look At That Backside.jpg (92.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Sample Picture No Convergence Or Degaussing.jpg (57.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse(s) Rehab.jpg (101.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Sparky; 10-13-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:35 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 10,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Enjoy the free chest and x-rays.
Don't X-ray your banana too much otherwise ya won't be able to have kids.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 AM
Sparky's Avatar
Sparky Sparky is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central FL
Posts: 54
I couldn't find any coconut smilies....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:35 PM
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Don't X-ray your banana too much otherwise ya won't be able to have kids.
After 20 yrs with TV's in my lap I still wasnt shooting blanks. Just another
government scare tactic...............

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Tellyrescue Tellyrescue is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Progress update:
Now have a pic on the screen still yet to change electrolytics and do full setup-convergence. The HV and cathode currents have been tamed and the set doesn't smoke or get hot even after 30min on.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Tellyrescue Tellyrescue is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Here's some progress pictures.
Next on the list is power supply caps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3133.jpg (32.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3132.jpg (34.8 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 10,405
Nice work! Some adjustment of the purity, convergence, greyscale, add in some color demodulator action and it will be a watcher.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.