Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who made the changer in this Silvertone radio/78-rpm phono combo?

Here's a model 41 Silvertone table model AM radio/78 rpm record changer that I picked up today. Twenty+ years ago, I had two identical looking models that both had VM 900 series 3-speed changers in them and they looked original.

This one has a 78-rpm single speed changer in it; so, I'm thinking it's one of those models that started off as containing a single speed changer and multi-speed changers were added to later runs of this model.

I haven't decided if I will keep the original changer or add a more modern changer. I'd like to keep this because this model was among some of the first radios I found when I started collecting.

I know I've seen similar record changers to what's in this one; but, don't know who actually made the changer. Can anyone help out with that?

Since photobucket is misbehaving, we'll have to settle on the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8So5XX9pAmg
Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Could it be a webster chicago? General Industries may have still made changers then - is it possible?
It doesn't really look like any VM I've seen photos of - but if it's stumping you it's got to be a rare one.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Peanut Head

Strikes me as a Webster chewer.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I checked and the chassis number prefix on both the radio chassis and record changer is 135. If we can find what company matches source code 135, we'll be in business.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

And, it looks like the winner is Sonora. I also found early 1950 date codes on the remaining Silvertone tubes; which, seems a little late for a radio/phonograph combo which will only play 78 rpm records. I'm sure this was one of the last ones.
Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
And, it looks like the winner is Sonora. I also found early 1950 date codes on the remaining Silvertone tubes; which, seems a little late for a radio/phonograph combo which will only play 78 rpm records. I'm sure this was one of the last ones.
I think Sonora only made a few models for Sears. Probably on the lower end of the product line.
There was a super cheapie record changer, made at that time. Aero Metal Products. IIRC, it was made in Chicago.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I would agree that this Sonora made Silvertone was likely one of the very last 78 only radio/phono combinations made. Likely an economy model using up older parts to sell them off. And likely marketed to areas where 78 records were still strong or thrifty people. A note, RETMA Code 135 is Chicago Condenser. So, some Chicago area company made this related to Chicago Condenser, Aero Metal Products would be a candidate for the make of that changer.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 01-06-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Here's a model 41 Silvertone table model AM radio/78 rpm record changer that I picked up today.
I know I've seen similar record changers to what's in this one; but, don't know who actually made the changer. Can anyone help out with that?
I identify it as being made by Crescent because of the shape of the arm. It looks just like the arm on wire recorders made by Crescent.

Hope this helps.