Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

VM 950 record changer

I'm working on a circa 1951 VM 950 record changer and I need to drop the whole mechanism from the frame for cleaning/lubrication. I"ve found 3 screws that hold the mechanism in place; but, I can't drop the mechanism without removing the metal piece that the tonearm is attached to. I see a big nut that appears to be holding this piece in place; but, I don't want to mess with it before asking if this is the correct nut I need to remove in order to get that piece out of the way so that I can remove the mechanism. The last thing I want to do is break something. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

That nut, if I am thinking correctly, is the coarse adjustment for arm position. The little screw next to it is the fine adjustment.

I can't tell from your description what the problem is.

What you don't see is the shielded cable that routes through a slot and, even with the screw removed, you will have that still in the way of arm removal. But maybe you aren't going to remove the arm.

Can't you do the job without this disassembly?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I'm working on a circa 1951 VM 950 record changer and I need to drop the whole mechanism from the frame for cleaning/lubrication. I"ve found 3 screws that hold the mechanism in place; but, I can't drop the mechanism without removing the metal piece that the tonearm is attached to. I see a big nut that appears to be holding this piece in place; but, I don't want to mess with it before asking if this is the correct nut I need to remove in order to get that piece out of the way so that I can remove the mechanism. The last thing I want to do is break something. Any advice is appreciated. [
Contact Gary here:
http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

He is very helpful and can answer your questions.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Indeed, Gary is expert on these changers. He can advise you and can get you a service manual if needed and spare parts.