Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:36 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine
I barely watch TV anymore, and if I do, it's all SD stuff on the retro channels.
Excellent

I prefer SD also.........
Old 12-03-2017, 03:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I use a 36" Sony CRT 1080 hd 4.3 tv for almost everything , I know a few people who are using CRT tv sets simply because they are older / seniors or the couple who arent seniors they just have a tv and are happy they see a picture , when the set goes that's when they will get one.
Probably good because LCD sets that are simply 1080 are pretty low cost and better now than the wallet busters of a decade or so ago.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:20 PM
Workin' Late Again

Newest TV my wife and I have is our good old Mitsubishi we bought new in 1989. Mind you we've never been heavy TV watchers, but that thing has survived our two boys growing up, and we still watch Red Box and library DVD's on it to this day. Picture looks as good as I ever remember it, and I've never so much as taken the back off it. It's a 27" table model CS-2656R. Of course the pencil box door broke off many many years ago.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 12-06-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Analogue is Awesome

God bless your set Kevin

Please give her a pet for me next time ya wipe her or go near her,etc

Last edited by Dude111; 12-09-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
God bless your set Kevin

Please get her a pet for me next time ya wipe her or go near her,etc
You do mean the TV, or my wife?

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 12-08-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-08-2017, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

My son uses a 27" Sony Trinitron for all his viewing. His CRT is starting to fade just a tad. I already have a replacement in the basement: a 36" Sony Trinitron with low miles on the odometer. Just got to figure how to get that 180 lb. beast up two flights of stairs.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:44 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
My son uses a 27" Sony Trinitron for all his viewing. His CRT is starting to fade just a tad. I already have a replacement in the basement: a 36" Sony Trinitron with low miles on the odometer. Just got to figure how to get that 180 lb. beast up two flights of stairs.
Offering a 6 pack of beer to a strong friend or neighbor could do the trick. I was able to lift my 208Lb Super-Fine-Pitch HD Trinitron on top of the 1971 Zenith that now serves as it's stand and I can carry that set fine on a level surface, but any stairs narrower than it's front (read most stairs) I simply have to have a helper for.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-08-2017, 04:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Offering a 6 pack of beer to a strong friend or neighbor could do the trick. I was able to lift my 208Lb Super-Fine-Pitch HD Trinitron on top of the 1971 Zenith that now serves as it's stand and I can carry that set fine on a level surface, but any stairs narrower than it's front (read most stairs) I simply have to have a helper for.
Be careful, I wound up spending a couple weeks horizontal after attempting that kind of heroic lifting.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:30 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
My 1984 Kenmore micro/convection oven is about half that weight and I can barely budge it. When I got around to moving it off the counter for for cleaning and installing new feet (it was on blocks) I rolled one of my consoles into the kitchen, put an old shirt on top of it and then slid the Kenmore onto it and tilted it on its side. Much better than risking my back.

As for moving stuff like that up a couple of flights of stairs I'd put something underneath that would allow it to slide easily then use a couple of hand-cranked winches, one to pull it up and the other to take up slack just in case one were to fail.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn
You do mean the TV, or my wife?
Yup the TV but you can get your wife something also
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2017, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still use a 25" Magnavox in my bedroom. Parents got it for me new in 1994 or 1995, I cant remember, but its a basic Black Plastic Crap set from then.

However it still has a picture on it like its new so the CRT in it is fairly strong, considering its on every night when I go to bed. The CRT had to have been well built, and I know it has a ton of hours on it.

I only had to fix it twice. once it had a 100uf 100V cap go bad in the horizontal circuitry, apparently it was a common problem. So I replaced it with a much higher quality cap and it hasnt failed again. 2nd repair was in the STR circuit. a non polar cap dried out and took out the STR IC along with the fuse one day. Changed all that stuff out in 2008 or so, and its still working fine today.

But I know my luck will eventually run out with a flyback failure or something along those lines, so I am consistently looking for a good vintage CRT set as a backup. Problem is where I live now, they are impossible to come by. Only ones I see now are LCD, or a few late model silver flat screen CRTs which I don't want. I want something from the 70s/80s era as a daily watcher once this BPC set dies.

Last edited by mbates14; 12-20-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Yea I dont like FLAT SCREEN anything,they look horrible.........

I hope your set stays with you for along time yet...... The world has become a piece of garbage since we got our beautiful sets and its hard thinking about them leaving us.......

God bless you........
Old 12-21-2017, 07:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Same here... i have 8 tvs with CRT in each piece of my apartment.. no modern tvs..
Old 12-21-2017, 07:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
.........Only ones I see now are LCD, or a few late model silver flat screen CRTs which I don't want. I want something from the 70s/80s era as a daily watcher once this BPC set dies.
Ahhhhh ! why you don't want a flat screen CRT ? i have four flat CRT Toshiba between four regular CRTs since 7 years now i use everyday a flat CRT 20 and a 14 inch . In my living room and in my bedroom a 14 inches .. Both are Toshiba . they are ON about 4 hours a day and no problems yet. The CRTs are strong, the colors bright . However, my 14 inches served a long time for Nintendo games and the picture is very bright .

I do not really understand people ... maybe it depends on the tastes? I do not know.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well I dont like flat CRTs for 2 reasons. 1 reason is the majority of them are service nightmares (continually break down), and Two, taste reasons. Oh, and there is a third. WEIGHT... flat CRTs have more glass in the front than standard curved sets.

The only flat CRT I would ever have if I could get my hands on one, is a nice 16 by 9 1080 HD. basically one of the last CRTs made.

I worked on a few of those when I was a service tech, mainly the Sony ones that used that stupid failure proned Shindengen IC.
Audiokarma