Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Now i understand. Thank You.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
What specifically are you asking? I don't give TVs away for free anywhere anymore because scrappers take working sets and destroy them.
I had a feeling that this is why you don't use Craigslist. There are some real live ones on Craigslist.

I have taken several free sets I found there, but, I never scrap them.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I am typing this AK post on a Dell Latitude E 5510. Courtesy of the Athens, TN dump. A neighbor who works there rescued it for me. Had an issue with Windows 7 Pro crashing and keyboard. I repaired the keyboard and reloaded Windows and drivers. Intel Core I3, 2.3 Ghz Dual Core. Runs fine now. Will install a DVD-RW drive and 4GB RAM (it only has 2GB RAM)
Old 06-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I got a tower that a thrift store was going to throw away, still had to buy it from them though. At least it was cheap. Pentium 4 3GHz with 80GB hard drive with a fresh install of XP and 1GB RAM. I've stripped it of its outer panels with the intention of putting everything in an older-style case. Left the framework as I didn't want a bunch of loose parts hanging around and maybe getting damaged. The hard drive is labeled "CFS wiped" (Computers For Schools). I'll be trying FreeBSD on that.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember back when I was delivering pizza, I delivered to a guy who was a jerk. No tip. On the way back to the car, I noticed it was trash day, and there was a complete P3 computer in his trash (this was several years ago when a P3 wasn't too bad). I grabbed it "as my tip" lol. I took it home, wiped it, reloaded the OS and sold it for $75. Turns out it was the best tip of the night, heh.
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
I remember back when I was delivering pizza, I delivered to a guy who was a jerk. No tip. On the way back to the car, I noticed it was trash day, and there was a complete P3 computer in his trash (this was several years ago when a P3 wasn't too bad). I grabbed it "as my tip" lol. I took it home, wiped it, reloaded the OS and sold it for $75. Turns out it was the best tip of the night, heh.
Haha, very nice. Reminds me of the TV I got from beside the old Tel-Star TV and appliance dealership that had been out in the rain. Once it dried out, touching up a cold solder joint on a vertical transistor brought that back to life, I then sold it for 30 bucks. Only time I ever profited from a trash pick.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 AM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

It is actually a very regular thing for me to trash pick, repair/restore, and then sell. I make a decent amount of 'side cash' doing this, and 90% of what I offer for sale looks and works FAR better than it did when I found it. Several big-screen rear projectors (some HD), at least one flat panel, a bunch of nice CRT sets, a few tower speakers (Technics SB-L75 and Fisher STV-somethings listing soon), more...quite frequently, I am genuinely surprised at some of the things I list that actually sell.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
It is actually a very regular thing for me to trash pick, repair/restore, and then sell. I make a decent amount of 'side cash' doing this, and 90% of what I offer for sale looks and works FAR better than it did when I found it. Several big-screen rear projectors (some HD), at least one flat panel, a bunch of nice CRT sets, a few tower speakers (Technics SB-L75 and Fisher STV-somethings listing soon), more...quite frequently, I am genuinely surprised at some of the things I list that actually sell.
Sounds awesome. Perhaps you mention the work done on these things in your ads? Could be the selling point for a lot of them.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Sounds awesome. Perhaps you mention the work done on these things in your ads? Could be the selling point for a lot of them.
Always! I make it a point in every ad to mention that everything I sell has been completely gone through and thoroughly cleaned. It's a win-win, because it's something I really enjoy doing.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know many people who purchased thoroughly cleaned TV's, a month goes by after purchase, they can't explain how their house suddenly got infested with cockroaches.
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberts View Post
I know many people who purchased thoroughly cleaned TV's, a month goes by after purchase, they can't explain how their house suddenly got infested with cockroaches.
And that is EXACTLY why I thoroughly clean everything I sell.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR
Nice.... How much did you spend though getting it ready?? (Sounds like nothing)

Did the guy see ya take it?