Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Chromacolor console no video

Hello guys,

My Mom's early 70's Zenith Chromacolor console is having an issue for the first time since the 80's. Not sure how to find out what model it is. I know she should probably get a new one, but:

1) The old console has sentimental value.
2) She uses it maybe twice a year (for "special occasions") and this is not her main tv.
2) It actually may be more costly to replace rather than fix the Zenith, depending on what's wrong with it (why I'm here for help).

The last time it was on (at least 2 or 3 years ago), all was well. Turned it on the other day and found the audio was fine, but the picture tube was black. No static electron feel when I put my hand on the front of the picture tube so no beam. I removed the back cover and found that there is the orange glow at the back of the picture tube showing the tube is receiving current. I'm hoping that since the end of picture tube is glowing that maybe there could be something else causing the problem.
Does anyone have any info idea what the problem could be and what it would need to be repaired including some thought on cost. Needless to say, if the picture tube is gone, it probably would be cost prohibitive but we'ld like to try to save it. Photos below:

Thanks very much.

Lou