Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:56 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAZenith View Post
I make a good living (for a 25 year old in rural GA anyhow), but after the bills I am broke haha. Debt is a part of life. Use it wisely. I am a homeowner with a wife and a 3 year old on a single (but good) income and I have more debt than I'd like to admit.
My folks lived like that when I was young, always barely scraping by. Not long after we finally were out Dad lost his job in step with the housing bubble and they lost their shirts to NOT let it become a credit ruining for-closure.

I rather argue with the folks weekly for the next 5 years than live like they did in the early years, or repeat the IMHO stupidity of not owning their property outright or trying to live outside of means.

Credit IMO should be saved for occasions where savings are not sufficient, and purchase can not wait (like medical emergency). To me it is stupid to pay someone to rent you money unless circumstances make it unavoidable.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-19-2016, 04:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
My folks lived like that when I was young, always barely scraping by. Not long after we finally were out Dad lost his job in step with the housing bubble and they lost their shirts to NOT let it become a credit ruining for-closure.

I rather argue with the folks weekly for the next 5 years than live like they did in the early years, or repeat the IMHO stupidity of not owning their property outright or trying to live outside of means.

Credit IMO should be saved for occasions where savings are not sufficient, and purchase can not wait (like medical emergency). To me it is stupid to pay someone to rent you money unless circumstances make it unavoidable.

That's not a bad idea. And having bad credit is not a big deal. I've seen mine drop 150 points and go up 100 points all in the course of a few months. As long as it is around 600 you will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 10-19-2016, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAZenith View Post
As long as it is around 600 you will be just fine.
600? I haven't been employed for over 14 years, and my current FICO credit score is 790. You may think you'll be fine with a 600, but if you do need a loan, you'll be paying a lot more than I would. Check on used car loans for example. A low number like yours will get you a 12%+ interest rate. A number like mine will get me an interest rate under 3%. Do what you can to achieve and maintain a high score, you never know when circumstances will put you in need of some financial help.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-score

The average credit score in the United States is currently at an all-time high of 695. Though different scoring models exist, which cause this figure to fluctuate by a few points, most fall between 660 to 720. This coincides with what the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau defines as 'prime' - an average score. Approximately 14% of the population has no credit score whatsoever, and is labeled as credit invisible. As a result, these underbanked individuals will have difficulty obtaining new lines of credit.

In the eyes of lenders, credit scores fall into several buckets, which indicate how risky it may be to extend credit to an individual. Outside of playing a role in approvals for a loan or credit, these scores can also impact an individual's lending terms. Perhaps the most important terms among those are interest rates. The higher an individuals credit score, the lower their quoted APR will typically be.

Credit scores typically break down in the following manner:

720 or more: Excellent
660 - 719: Average/Fair
620 - 659: Poor
620 or lower: Bad

Old 10-20-2016, 12:00 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Moar.

Last edited by TUD1; 09-22-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Moar.
Nice sets mate, that Moto is esprcially interesting to me. TS-915 set?

It's not hard for me to decide which one to watch; the nicest one by far is my Electrohome console, which I got up and running recently. The Zenith's cabinet is cheap and kind of ugly, the tuner motor sticks on and it needs a power cord. The Sylvania's cabinet is pretty beat and it needs a focus pot, a good cleaning inside and repair of the slipping power tuner. The rest are 19" sets, only one of which works right.
Audiokarma
Old 10-20-2016, 09:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
600? I haven't been employed for over 14 years, and my current FICO credit score is 790. You may think you'll be fine with a 600, but if you do need a loan, you'll be paying a lot more than I would. Check on used car loans for example. A low number like yours will get you a 12%+ interest rate. A number like mine will get me an interest rate under 3%. Do what you can to achieve and maintain a high score, you never know when circumstances will put you in need of some financial help.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-score

The average credit score in the United States is currently at an all-time high of 695. Though different scoring models exist, which cause this figure to fluctuate by a few points, most fall between 660 to 720. This coincides with what the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau defines as 'prime' - an average score. Approximately 14% of the population has no credit score whatsoever, and is labeled as credit invisible. As a result, these underbanked individuals will have difficulty obtaining new lines of credit.

In the eyes of lenders, credit scores fall into several buckets, which indicate how risky it may be to extend credit to an individual. Outside of playing a role in approvals for a loan or credit, these scores can also impact an individual's lending terms. Perhaps the most important terms among those are interest rates. The higher an individuals credit score, the lower their quoted APR will typically be.

Credit scores typically break down in the following manner:

720 or more: Excellent

660 - 719: Average/Fair

620 - 659: Poor

620 or lower: Bad

True. But this is a board about old school tvs. Last word on credit ratings: if you have your mortgage and car payment locked in, it is no longer necessary to worry about your credit. That was my point. I will pay stuff late to keep more cash on hand if I am tight, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 10-20-2016, 11:02 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Another group photo. You might not be able to tell in the picture, but the Admiral roundie is starting to have a focus issue. It didn't really have good focus to start with, but now it's slowly getting softer the more I use it. I tried adjusting the focus control, but that control feels very flaky, like something could snap off or break on every turn.

Last edited by TUD1; 02-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have to make a comment about spouses, parents, girlfriends, etc., not liking your collection. I know a gun collector and reloader with over 100 guns and spends many days a month reloading and shooting. His wife is just happy that she knows where he is, what he is doing, where he is spending his money, and that he is not getting in trouble in a bar or worse somewhere. That is something they should think about and be thankful for.... that doesnt mean you should fill the house though, lol
Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
I have to make a comment about spouses, parents, girlfriends, etc., not liking your collection. I know a gun collector and reloader with over 100 guns and spends many days a month reloading and shooting. His wife is just happy that she knows where he is, what he is doing, where he is spending his money, and that he is not getting in trouble in a bar or worse somewhere. That is something they should think about and be thankful for.... that doesnt mean you should fill the house though, lol
You nailed it! Think of all the expensive hobbies like boats, cars, etc. I quit collecting when renting apartments until I bought a modest house in town with my Ex. The ex did not like the radios, TV's and most of my music which was a clue.

When I moved to a farmstead 19 years ago, a detached garage, spacious walk-up attic and dry basement was key (but I was quiet about it). My folks understood during the school years as does my wife now. I just don't broadcast when I bring a set home but I make it quite obvious when I trade, sell or recycle them.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Another group photo. You might not be able to tell in the picture, but the Admiral roundie is starting to have a focus issue. It didn't really have good focus to start with, but now it's slowly getting softer the more I use it. I tried adjusting the focus control, but that control feels very flaky, like something could snap off or break on every turn.
The Zenith in the lower left is a 25DC56 chassis, no? That is an impressive display!
Audiokarma
Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I just don't broadcast when I bring a set home
What difference would shutting off your transmitters make?

Sorry, had to.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
What difference would shutting off your transmitters make?

Sorry, had to.
How did you know?
I just got two modulators for UHF from ebay and delivery was undetected.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
How did you know?
I just got two modulators for UHF from ebay and delivery was undetected.
Lucky guess. I'm rather surprised you got your first (?) transmitters so recently.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
The Zenith in the lower left is a 25DC56 chassis, no? That is an impressive display!
Correct.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm lucky. My wife helps me find them. Right now she has two in the back of her SUV. She even claims some of them. They are all over the house and we are going to take one room and make it a display room.
Audiokarma