Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

50's and 60's Microwave's- Are they out there?

I feel this topic sort of applies to radios in a way. Are there microwave ovens from the 50's and 60's out there in the world? You see a lot of microwave's from the 70's on ebay, but none from the 60's. Were 60's microwaves even available in any quantity? I know about the RadarRange from the 50's but have heard nothing of what immediately followed.
Are they dangerous, and if so, can they be made safe for occasional use? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
electronics packrat

Maybe there are a few out there. The first home microwave ovens were introduced in 1953. They cost $1,250 each and were as big as a refrigerator. There were no countertop models until 1967.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetone36 View Post
Maybe there are a few out there. The first home microwave ovens were introduced in 1953. They cost $1,250 each and were as big as a refrigerator. There were no countertop models until 1967.
There was a restaurant in the neighborhood, where I grew up, that had a real early microwave, in the later 50's. It was a Tappan and it was the size of an electric, build-in type oven. It ran on 230 volts and had the old type knob type timer. It had other controls on it as well. It might've had electric elements also.
The owner said that it cost around $1,000 when new.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetone36
And I bet they were just as dangerous then as they are now!!!!! (Very unhealthy... RUINS FOOD)

I try to avoid them @ all costs.... I thought they were invented in the 70s and 80s but 53??

Wow......
Old 09-20-2015, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is an interesting thread. I have LONG wondered if anyone here had seen any pre-1970's Microwave ovens MYSELF. I KNOW they cost a LOT--in say 1967 or so...around 1K or so....so not that many people had them...

ANd for a few years...they were often called an "electronic oven"..in that they cooked with a radio tube instead of a heating device--be it a resistance element or gas flame.

About 1984 or so....I was given a 1974 or so magic chef microwave oven. It did NOT look much different inside....than one from the late 1970's or so...with a mechanical timer. Just a large normal looking HV tranny...HV cap, avalanche diode (albeit a BIG one), fan and mechanical timer,and a clock-looking motor...to power the stirrer. The magnetron was NO different really...than those used TODAY..welded construction with ceramic magnets and such. I have NEVER seen a microwave oven with a FIELD COIL...for the magnetron...though i HAVE read they DID exist. ,
Audiokarma
Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

BTW....there is an old price is right episode from 1960 or so...that a microwave oven was given away on. It is a BW episode and the format is MUCH different than today's TPIR. i think they said it was $1100 or so... it was a HUGE thing..obviously built-in . They did a LONG demonstration of it.

I have the episode saved on real player....BUT that is on my main computer...which is STILL down right now...for a couple of weeks now. Thank GOD...for this little laptop of mine...or I would be "out in the cold "computer--wise !!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000
I have the episode saved on real player....
Wow wouldnt mind seeing the episode! (I have real player (8+) I can view it with)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

In the mid 1960's my Aunt Mae in Flushing Meadows had a huge counter top Amana. So they were available for the normal middle class home. I'm not saying that Aunt Mae was normal...
Old 02-06-2014, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember a 60's Amana was on the bay 2-3 years ago that was either never used or barely used. IIRC you would have to have owned Ft. Knox to pay their asking price.

I had an aunt and uncle that had a late 60's Sears one built in over the stove. That was the first one I ever saw.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the late 1970's or very early 1980's one could buy a Microwave leakage meter you held near and around a given microwave oven to check for leakage of microwaves. I would think one could determine safety by using one of these. May still be available.
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 PM
<----Zenith C845

The first attempt at cooking food using radio waves (not microwaves) goes back to the 1930s. The unit was called the "Radio Sandwich Machine" (RSM); there is a thread here on VK describing this unit, which was an early forerunner of today's smaller and much more efficient microwave ovens. The RSM used four radio transmitting tubes, a separate power supply, and was used mostly at exhibitions, the most notable of which was the New York World's Fair in 1939. Most of these machines were eventually seized by the government and destroyed, probably because of the high level of RF radiation (there were few or no standards for RF leakage at the time). One of the few (and I do mean few) such machines still in existence was on eBay some time ago; whether it sold or not, and if so to whom, I don't know.

BTW, I shudder to think of the arcs a machine like the RSM could generate if someone were to operate it without food in the long chamber atop the cabinet, or with anything metal in there as well. Today's microwaves will smoke and catch fire if abused in this manner; I imagine the RSM would set an entire kitchen afire in two seconds (!) under the same conditions, since the four tubes in the unit probably generated 500+ watts of RF energy. I would think that under such a severe overload, the house fuses would blow in an instant, but with 500-plus watts of RF sparking inside the oven, the thing would probably catch fire long before the fuses let go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radio Sandwich Machine 1930s.JPG (20.5 KB, 69 views)

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-07-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is a late sixties Litton tabletop microwave oven in my garage. It came from an estate sale's trashpile. It is in fantastic cosmetic condition, and works well (I tested it to boil a glass of water and it did; even the lightbulb still worked). I would never use it in any kitchen, but it is too good to just discard...It has more metal and weight to it than any TV of its day IMO.
Made in USA.
Other than that, i still have my grandparents 1970s Sanyo microwave. Sentimental item, complete with 'Microwave Cooking' handbook.. kind of morose how it lists Whole Turkey as a microwavable item(!!)
I don't have a microwave oven in my own kitchen.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a craigslist ad for appliances from the late 50's. It has the cook top stove, wall oven, vent hoods, and a microwave (looks close to the other wall oven). On the main picture it is the one on the left.
A buddy of mine in the area called and was arranging to pick up the appliances when the person called back and said that the contractors accidently threw away the appliances. However the ad is still listed on craigslist. Here is the ad.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/app/4308335825.html

And here is a close-up pic of the microwave.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
There is a late sixties Litton tabletop microwave oven in my garage. It came from an estate sale's trashpile. It is in fantastic cosmetic condition, and works well (I tested it to boil a glass of water and it did; even the lightbulb still worked). I would never use it in any kitchen, but it is too good to just discard...It has more metal and weight to it than any TV of its day IMO.
Made in USA.
Other than that, i still have my grandparents 1970s Sanyo microwave. Sentimental item, complete with 'Microwave Cooking' handbook.. kind of morose how it lists Whole Turkey as a microwavable item(!!)
I don't have a microwave oven in my own kitchen.
Does it have the torx tamper-proof screws? I fixed one for an ex-GF in the early 90s, and had to go to an industrial supply house to buy a driver bit to remove the cover. The HV rectifier stack was fried and I got one from Sears to fix it.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's pretty neat. Thanks for the info.