Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

oh did i tell you i got a brand new fly273 on ebay for 10.00. he had 10 flys for sale and i messaged him if he had another fly273 he said no but he said outbid everyone then pay the full amout and ill get the fly and a refund for the difference and he would put the other flys back on ebay. it worked out great got the refund and the fly273.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Everyone trips so hard on flybacks. I have never had one go bad on me, not even on the 16 I ran in a museum for 4 months the flyback held up. I have run across a few bad ones in old sets, maybe 2 in 100 sets. Not bad odds
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Everyone trips so hard on flybacks. I have never had one go bad on me, not even on the 16 I ran in a museum for 4 months the flyback held up. I have run across a few bad ones in old sets, maybe 2 in 100 sets. Not bad odds
well some people have your luck but mine is if not for bad luck i would not have any luck at all, all my flybacks would have probably gone bad if i didnt have a spare or 2 for each set including the 47 fada.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Timmy do not feel bad I have the same luck sometimes I had only one bad fly and that was on a ctc 15 roundy but I sold that set years ago my bad luck is with crts I have a ctc16 that needs a new jug cause mine got broken during transport it brought tears to my eyes.. Timothy
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe when the stores run out of flybacks in the next few days from the panic buying you will be able to sell them for a few thousand each...?
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Maybe when the stores run out of flybacks in the next few days from the panic buying you will be able to sell them for a few thousand each...?
l m a o
Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well...OK. That was more one of my off the wall sarcastic comments on priority, but hey, OK then

ROTFLMAO
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

well later today i will be checking the crt with the bk440 crt tester on the cutoff mode and raise it up full and hope i dont get the blue glow. with the set on and working i didnt see any purple glow or anything glowing just the filiments but maybe this test will put this thread to rest on this set, if i get the blue glow. i do remember pulling the 6bk4 cap off and checking hv and it was around 24kv but when i pulled the crt plug off the hv went out the roof at over 30kv, and this was with the 6bk4 cap still off so either something in the circuit is holding back the hv or it may be the crt, who knows.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

That does sound suspicious.
I have suspected that the roundie crts that have the copper pinchoff nipple leak. If you can clean the neck off and use a flashlight to look back at the pinchoff nipple and see if its glass or copper that would be interesting.

I would be interested in knowing what the symptoms of different amounts of air contamination are.
What happens if the crt looses 1-2hg vs 10hg, at what point do the filaments burn up...
Maybe miniman82 would know??
Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
I have suspected that the roundie crts that have the copper pinchoff nipple leak. If you can clean the neck off and use a flashlight to look back at the pinchoff nipple and see if its glass or copper that would be interesting.

I would be interested in knowing what the symptoms of different amounts of air contamination are.
What happens if the crt looses 1-2hg vs 10hg, at what point do the filaments burn up...
I would think any amount of air in the tube would cause the heaters to burn out very quickly. Witness how fast an incandescent light bulb burns out if it is broken while under power.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

you know its funny i was thinking of the video you posted awhile ago about the crt that had the brass nipple on the end. what a dumb idea for holding back that much vacuum. and you seemed pissed at that finding.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

there was something said somewhere in this site posted that the filiments wont glow in air but i dont remember what the explanation was about it.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
console lover

A very tiny amount of air will make the tune unusable. The ability to make an image is destroyed long before the filaments are.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

When I was restoring my 1965 Zenith roundie the CRT was gassy but I did not know it at first. On my crt tester the tube showed good emission, etc. I restored the chassis and got 25 kV on the bench at the anode connector. I assemble the set, power it up and get no hv and purple glow in the crt neck. There was no picture and the crt filaments did not burn out. After I had the tube rebuilt, changing nothing else, I had a great picture with proper hv. It sounds like you might have a slightly gassy crt. Don't give up on it. These round tube color sets perform great even if they are a little maintenance intensive.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

well i did the high cutoff test for a blue glow and nothing not even the purple glow so im thinking the crt is ok. but i now remember when i got this set and finished recapping and powered up the horiz hold control would not work because the control didnt have enogh room to work so i had to tweak the oscillator a touch to get the control to work. but now after all that is the horiz oscillator and i did find the sweep setup instructions for the hv and i will have to go ahead and do it and maybe this is the problem. someone at some point must have touched that coil and who knows how far it was turned. i dont know if the horiz hold is ok that it means the frequency is ok because this could be a drive to the fly problem maybe due to someone turning that slug. this will be fun for me as i never had to do this befor but it is a learning thing always with these sets.
Audiokarma