Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:55 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Beltron CRT tester put to the test

I've wanted a Beltron CRT tester for a very long time. There is a well known electronics personality on a well known video sharing site that uses one, and I always liked the way it tested when I saw this person use it on a CRT. Well, I finally got one and I'd thought I'd share the results. I've used a Heathkit, a B&K 470, then I graduated to a 467, then to a Sencore CR70. This is the ONLY tester that was able to bring back a tube that I had written off as useless a long time ago. It's a 1971 RCA Hi-Lite roundie tube, and red was absolutely shot. Neither the 467, nor the CR70 could do anything with it regarding rejuvenation. They actually made it test WORSE. I pop the Beltron on it, and to my utter shock and amazement, RED TESTS BRAND NEW NOW, and even passes the life test with flying colors. I guess I'm a Beltron fanboy now. We'll see how this tube holds up, it will be interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6088.jpg (65.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I've wanted a Beltron CRT tester for a very long time. There is a well known electronics personality on a well known video sharing site that uses one
Shango066 on YouTube (uh, doi)

As far as I know those things will blast the CRT harder than any other tester, and this time didn't blow the red gun to kingdom come, hence the good result.

I give that CRT about a month of use.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Neither the 467, nor the CR70 could do anything with it regarding rejuvenation. They actually made it test WORSE. I pop the Beltron on it, and to my utter shock and amazement, RED TESTS BRAND NEW NOW, and even passes the life test with flying colors. I guess I'm a Beltron fanboy now. We'll see how this tube holds up, it will be interesting.
Are you saying the red gun tested like new on the Beltron without doing anything to it? Or what function of the Beltron magically brought it back to like brand new?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I used Position No. 3 "Restore" on the tester and followed the instructions. The "Restore" position laid down the hammer on the tube and (to paraphrase Jon A. above,) blew it to kingdom come. After doing so, red tests brand new.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Beltron is the best, period.

From 1975 to the late 80’s, my company averaged 100 reconditioned tvs per month.

I used the Beltron on each one.

Still using it-I brought a Predicta tube back from the dead last week. The owner called it Lazarus.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:37 PM
RCA 741PCS

As said above it blasts harder than other testers.
Take a look at the schematic for the Beltron. There's really not much to it. Basically a power supply with some meters, switches and resistors.

http://www.fidnet.com/~seanbart/Belt..._Schematic.jpg

On the other hand, the CR_70 has transistors and op-amps to regulate and limit the voltage and current.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h6...i70iomevDZBg1m

Last edited by bandersen; 10-19-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I guess even some pros didn't know how to properly use them. I have never used one, but I read the following review on ARF:

Quote:
Beltron CRT testers are very easy to destroy tubes with when rejuvenating, but most brands of older units fall into the same category. They encouraged dealers to charge a lot of money for rejuvenating a CRT and then guarantee it would stay good for a certain length of time. We used to get a lot of unhappy customers from other shops in the area that had used a Beltron unit to rejuvenate their CRT, they would come in a month or two later and purchase a new set.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
I used Position No. 3 "Restore" on the tester and followed the instructions. The "Restore" position laid down the hammer on the tube and (to paraphrase Jon A. above,) blew it to kingdom come. After doing so, red tests brand new.
Did you leave it on the emissions position for a couple hours and see if it holds long term? My experience rejuvenating is you get temporary satisfaction and then it fades away after a few hours. Of course if it was dead before you have nothing to loose if it keeps working for a while. But I would expect whatever impurities made it test bad in the first place will eventually find their way back to their preferred resting place.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I’ll put this out-come for a visit and I’ll show you the difference.
Audiokarma
Old 04-11-2019, 08:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a 17" predicta tube (17DAP4 2.68 volt). I checked it with my B&K 466 tester. It pegs the meter on step #6. Just after step #5 where you set the G1 voltage to 45 volts. This is where you gradually increase the pointer by two small divisons, it started to increase 1 divison then pegged the meter. Then when I proceed to step #7 Read Emissions (tests strong) it is like an extra light bulb going off inside the neck of the tube (besides the heater glow). Is this the famous heater to cathode short, for a predicta tube ? What are the chances that a Beltron will repair this tube ? or is it toast. Thanks guys..
Tony
Old 04-11-2019, 02:18 PM
RCA 741PCS

I know the original 21" Predicta CRTs had a short lifespan, but never heard about any issues with the 17" have a heater to cathode short issue.

Doesn't the 466 have a shorts test ? Does it indicate that you have a short ?

Also, I don't think an HK short wouldn't make the neck glow.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:30 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
I've got a 17" predicta tube (17DAP4 2.68 volt). I checked it with my B&K 466 tester. It pegs the meter on step #6. Just after step #5 where you set the G1 voltage to 45 volts. This is where you gradually increase the pointer by two small divisons, it started to increase 1 divison then pegged the meter. Then when I proceed to step #7 Read Emissions (tests strong) it is like an extra light bulb going off inside the neck of the tube (besides the heater glow). Is this the famous heater to cathode short, for a predicta tube ? What are the chances that a Beltron will repair this tube ? or is it toast. Thanks guys..
Tony
As a fellow B&K466 user I can tell you...Your tube is shot. When you adjust the cutoff and it wants to be 'all or nothing' instead of allowing 2 division adjustment and the neck and or gun elements glow(presumably purple) it means the tube has too much gas contaminating its vacuum to function...It probably has a VERY VERY slow leak somewhere.
Last 2 CRTs that tested that way on my 466 when connected to a working chassis arced internally between the HV connector/internal dag and the electron gun (much to the distress of the flyback), did not produce screen light and the entire neck lit up purple.

Sorry for the bad news. If your 466 still has its manual I believe it explains the connection between cutoff behavior and gas.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys, I was afraid of that. Just needed some confirmation.
Tony
Old 08-01-2021, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Paperwork

Does anyone have the paperwork for this tester? I got the tester but no paperwork.

Stlouisian
Audiokarma