Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I have no idea who that is, the chic in the bottom pic looks pretty good....
The top one kinda looks like it was taken out of Xanadu-

So a set like that has calibration settings....? Exactly how is that done...?
I got to watch a movie yesterday on a cheap westinghouse flat screen fed with hdmi
off cable, and it was a very clear sharp picture. The color seemed to wander from
greenish to purpleish faces throughout the film.... But quite sharp...

Does the stand alone yellow make a big difference...?

Gwen Stefani is an American singer, songwriter, fashion designer, and actress. She joined the Voice television show as a co-judge in her first season this year.

To my eyes the yellow sub pixel extends the green-yellow spectrum. Critics say the color produced by the Quatron does not conform to the RGB color standard. The color standard has and was adopted in 1931. Modern televisions are capable of extending the 1931 color standard. There has been a push to get the industry to change the color standard beyond what we have today.

When I bought my set in December, 2011. There was no 4K or OLED. By introducing the fourth sub pixel, Sharp produced a finer pitch panel with 25% more pixels across the screen. I had my set professionally calibrated by ISF (Image Science Foundation) The goal of ISF is to calibrate the set to the standard of the movie producer/studio. This sounds like an oxymoron, then why buy a set with a fourth sub-pixel? Is it just a gimmick to get more sales? For me no. I see an improvement in the color.

I'm retired and home most of the time. Since the purchase, I operate the set all day, about 17 hours a day. If I go out to walk the dog etc, I just leave it on. It is almost 3 years old next month and going very strong with no signs of a dimming or failing picture. I estimate that I have put on over 19500 hours on it. I think the screen shots demonstrate the image well. BTW taken with an iPhone 6 Plus, not a DSLR. Would be better with a high quality camera.

Here is a link to ISF and what they do: https://www.imagingscience.com