Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Banned

Sony TV and panels and other brands going forward 2014 and beyond

Quote:
Sources added that after continued losses in the past few years, major Japanese TV brands have adjusted operation strategies for 2014. Sony, for example, has announced to spin off its TV business in July, and will turn to placing mainly original equipment manufacturing (OEM) TV orders, rather than Original Design Manufacturing (ODM) as before. Sharp will license its TV brand to BestBuy in the U.S. market, in which the Japanese vendor will focus on vending over-60-inch TV models. Toshiba's global TV shipments shrank in 2013, but Taiwanese company Compal acquired Toshiba's Polish assembly plant in late last year, and aims to ship some four million TVs to Toshiba in 2014.
By: Park Hyong-ki | koreaherald.com
Read more :
http://global.ofweek.com/news/Taiwan...rease-5-6-8449

Panels ,

In 2013, Sony's TV-panel procurement ratio from Samsung was about 48.5%, and from LGD about 16%, or a total of 65% from Korean suppliers; compared to AUO's 25%, Innolux's 6.5%, and Sharp of Japan's 4%. Sharp shipped 60- and 70-inch extra-large panels to Sony mainly through Hon Hai, the major contract assembler of Sony TVs and the parent of Innolux.

This year, Sony's TV-panel procurement's from Samsung, LGD, and AUO are expected to be 35%-38%, 20% and 30%, respectively. Sony's total TV-panel procurements from Taiwan are expected to be 5.5 million units, including high-end products such as 4K2K and cu
By: Quincy Liang | cens.com |
read more:
http://global.ofweek.com/news/Sony-t...-from-AUO-8919
I just bought a 2013 Sony 40R450A for the bedroom it has a Samsung SPVA rear LED back light panel it's pretty good all in all .

Hopefully Sony will use more AUO panels if not Samsung going forward the LG IPS panels have good viewing angles but abysmal contrast
the 2013 LG 42L5300 I have in another bedroom bears that out .

Last edited by tubetwister; 03-11-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you for posting these notes about TV manufacturers and LCD panel suppliers.

The whole thing of multiple LCD panel technologies and "panel lotteries" makes things way more complicated than they were in the CRT days. I like the wide viewing angles of IPS panels, but the one set like that I did buy (a 32" LG a few years back) had very poor black-level performance. My 2010-model 46" Samsung has wonderful completely cut-off blacks when viewed straight-on, so I returned the LG and got a 2011-model Samsung 32" set that also has completely dark black ability, and its off-angle performance is quite better than the 46-inch set.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony is the GM of electronics. The once mighty electronics company has become just another brand. Sad.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wish Sony stayed focused on electronics then drifting off and buying off into the Hollywood entertainment biz.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Japanese electronic companies are where the American electronic companies were in the 80's. Koreans are now the premium brand, but I have no doubt it will move on to Chinese companies in a decade or so.
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Sony is the GM of electronics. The once mighty electronics company has become just another brand. Sad.
Yep. As a kid who grew up in the '60s, I WELL remember Sony being a "Premium" brand, ESPECIALLY in their TVs..
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

*Flush*
Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yep. As a kid who grew up in the '60s, I WELL remember Sony being a "Premium" brand, ESPECIALLY in their TVs..
I had relatives who owned a 1970s Sony 12" color portable TV. The set lasted 20+ years, which speaks volumes for the quality of Sony products in those days. It was replaced by another, larger Sony TV when the small set finally quit sometime in the '90s or so. Don't know what became of the larger Sony, but I'll bet it's still in use somewhere.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Banned

I have a 2013 40" Sony LED/LCD in the bedroom good picture ofc it has a Samsung
S-PVA panel contrast measured 4750:1 calibrated on ANSI checkerboard black is .022 cd/m2 not bad for an LCD.
The big set here is a 2013 Samsung Plasma . Have owned Sony Trinitrons (3 ) in the past all good sets for me
one lasted 14 yrs another 12 both still worked when I gave them away other one lasted 11 yrs .

Sony TV is now now an owned subsidiary of Sony inc. Foxconn makes most of the US
and Canadian products for them ofc. Sony designs them and specifies the B.O.M .
Presumably with less management and financial overhead as a subsidiary they can be more efficient and more responsive to the market place some recent new models like the 1080p 60" W630B,the best buy exclusive (for now) W700B 50,55," and new R3/R4 32" to 48" wall mart and B.B. sets seem to indicate they are becoming more competitive in the sub $1100 ,and sub $500.00 price ranges now.

Last edited by tubetwister; 10-30-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Remember the Sony Tv ads of the 70s/80s - "here's my World Series MVP award...and here is where I keep my Sony"

Sad.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma