Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Re-positioned Victor S/N plate (?)

I have a little mystery here that I wonder if anyone can shed some light on. I recently acquired an all original 1915 Victor Victrola VV-XIV (mohagany). My interest is mainly vintage radios/TV's, but I have a little knowledge about wind-up phono's. Upon doing research on my model I found that the inside metal Victor S/N plate is typically located on the back inner board horizontally and to the left of the tone arm. On mine it's mounted to the right of the tone arm and flat down. I looked closely with a LED light and low and behold there are tiny filled nail holes on the left side where a plate was! I've been around antiques a long time and this repositioning looks as old as the phono. The plate is correct and there's no reason anyone would reposition it even if one was somehow lost and replaced.
My best theory is that a run of plates was made a a little too big and mounting it vertically interfered with the lid closing properly. I did further research and saw another original VV-XIV with the plate flat down, but to the left of the tone arm. Could this be that certain number of these models had to have their plates re-positioned at the factory?
Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed! Joe
Old 05-28-2020, 06:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just wanted to say I went ahead and re-positioned the plate. Fortunately, being on the inside there was no toning contrast where the plate was. Darkness around the small brads prove it was moved way back. I wax filled the holes and you'd have to point out where they were with a flashlight. For the life of me I can't come-up with an good explanation for this.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Just wanted to say I went ahead and re-positioned the plate. Fortunately, being on the inside there was no toning contrast where the plate was. Darkness around the small brads prove it was moved way back. I wax filled the holes and you'd have to point out where they were with a flashlight. For the life of me I can't come-up with an good explanation for this.
Pictures? I'm curious to see what you're talking about because I too have seen many of these old Victrolas and I've never taken notice to the positioning of the serial number/Model Number Plate in these things.