Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

KLH model 21 transformer & speaker problem

I just bought a very rough looking KLH model 21 solid state FM table radio for $5. The case is rough, the tuning and treble shafts are a little bent, and there is some rust and corrosion on the chassis. The radio is dead due to an open power transformer. Does anyone know what the output voltage of the original transformer is supposed to be? I tacked in a 12V CT transformer, which I know is too small, and cranked the variac up to 150 volts. This gave me enough juice to get the radio playing faintly on several stations. The filter cap is rated at 30 volts; so, I'm guessing somewhere around an 18 V CT transformer should work. Before I start guessing, I wanted to ask here to see if anyone knows the output of the original transformer.

Also, I noticed that the speaker was rattling some. Has anyone replaced the speaker in one of these and know of something that will work as good as the original?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Others will have to advise you on the chassis issues - As far as a speaker replacement, I'd find another KLH unit, they are pretty common & show up on Ebay regularly. It's the same driver as KLH used in models 11,14,15,19 loudspeakers as well as others and is a really nice little driver. It's an acoustic suspension design that has a 3/8 of an inch cone travel and a very large magnet for such a small speaker....great little speaker !

Sounds like that radio got kicked around a bit. They're worth putting some work into, they sound fantastic when serviced.