Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
AK Member

Just picking up static

Thanks for all the help so far on the old sentinel 344. I changed all the bumblebee caps out this morning before work. I got it home tonight and still no luck all I get is static. The static gets louder when I hook up the antenna. As I move the tuner I get some change in noise but no channel or anything like that. The tone circuit works as well as volume. I have changed all the caps except for one mica cap. All the tubes are good. Any other ideas on what I can check? I don't have a schematic so I am kind of flying blind.
Thanks,
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

If this radio is new enough (late '40's+) to use miniature IF transformers, I'd say the IF's are suffering from "silver migration disease". The solution is to either replace the IF's or rebuild them. Personally, I have never rebuilt one but I've got a couple of radios that I soon will be trying my hand at rebuilding the IF's in.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
AK Member

I assume the IF transformers are the square cans? There are two of them on this radio. The radio is early 50's vintage. Is there any way to test the IF's? This radio is becoming a pain especially since I can't even listen to it once I do get it fixed.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 PM
AK Member

Any one have any idea if this is worth a shot?

http://www.antiqueradios.com/chrs/jo...nsformers.html
Old 06-06-2009, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

We don't know yet what the problem is before blaming the IF transformers. There are a number of things that could be wrong with it.

First: did the radio work at all before you recapped it?

I could not find a 344 schematic, found a 343 on Nostalgia Air, but am guessing this is a 5 tube AC/DC radio? It should have a loop antenna and won't work properly without the loop being connected. It won't need an external antenna, just the loop.

Next CORRECTED: This has been corrected because I stated the frequencies backwards. Test to see if your oscillator is working. Put another working AM radio tuned to a dead spot between 1400 and 1500 Kc next to your Sentinal. Turn on the Sentinal and tune it back and forth around 1000Kc. If your Sentinal oscillator is working at the proper frequency you should hear a squeal or a rushing noise from your other radio as you tune back and forth.

Come back after you try these things. You'll get it going eventually.

Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.

Last edited by Reece; 06-08-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 AM
AK Member

The radio didn't work before I recapped it. The caps were bad. All I got once the tubes warmed up was a loud 60hz hum. I gave it a try. I was getting a squeal. It wasn't very loud but I could hear it.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 AM
AK Member

Just for general knowledge the tubes in the radio are 2-12ba6, 12be6, 12av6, 35w4, 35c5
Old 06-07-2009, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you have static, it sounds like the local oscillator is not working. Have a look around the oscillaror circuit. Especially the oscillator coil.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

The test that I described using the second radio would determine if the oscillator is working, provided some previous "fixer" didn't go in and tighten down all the adjustment screws which he found "loose."

Reece

Old 06-07-2009, 11:13 PM
AK Member

So what should I check for next now that the ocillator has been checked. I haven't tightened anything and the radio hadnt probably been opened since LBJ was in office.
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Whoops! I got the frequencies backwards in my previous post. Please go back and read the revised post about how to set the two radios to test the oscillator. The oscillator will be putting out a frequency about 455Kc above the frequency of the station desired.

If it still doesn't work, try another 12BE6 tube. Or check the tube you have in another working radio. Barring all that, here is some good advice on page 5 of the attached file:

http://www.hvra.org/GridLeak/GL%20Sep%20Oct%2008-F.pdf

Reece

Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 PM
AK Member

All my tubes have been checked. I retested it and was getting a whooshing sound as I moved the tuner back and fourth about mid range of the sentinel. It is out of the case so I am not sure the specific frequency.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
If this radio is new enough (late '40's+) to use miniature IF transformers, I'd say the IF's are suffering from "silver migration disease". The solution is to either replace the IF's or rebuild them. Personally, I have never rebuilt one but I've got a couple of radios that I soon will be trying my hand at rebuilding the IF's in.
About halfway down my web page http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/repair.htm
I describe how to repair such transformers.

Some Zenith radio transformers are easier to take apart. The ones that use a screw shaft and nut to do the clamping of teh mica wafer. In which case I just scrape a dividing line to break the migration path between cap sections. Then reassemble.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
AK Member

Thanks, I also ordered a sams off of Ebay for 3 bucks so atleat I will have a schematic.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the "whooshing sound" you describe is coming from the second radio tuned around 1400, then it sounds like the Sentinal oscillator is working. If so, this would be a good place to use a signal tracer on the radio to be sure where the exact problem lies. A tracer can be rigged from an audio amplifier, like computer amplified speaker, with a shielded lead input terminating in a cap and germanium diode in series, for the RF portion of a radio.

Reece

Audiokarma