Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:14 PM
I love old stuff

'50's British manufacturing of tv's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ozXYM4xbb4
Old 05-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Interesting you should bring this up- I just got thru watching on Youtube RCA's 1950s color presentation of how THEY made TVs in the Fifties as well-"HOW IT'S MADE:1950's Televisions".... Kinda sad watching it in a way, since hardly ANY consumer grade electronic stuff is made in America anymore... I dunno when RCA stopped making TVs here, I bet it was in the Eighties, & likely all the lovely -and EXPENSIVE factories & facilities they used are long since gone as well, prolly strip malls & burger joints, maybe public housing now..... I know these films are sort of corporate propaganda, but if they did a tenth of the testing & checking they claimed, its no wonder we still have so many 1950s-'60s color sets still around...I can't imagine the Sumitomo/Itchipuse' Co, Ltd of Bangalore going to the same lengths RCA did back then...
Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 AM
I love old stuff

In Europe it was easyer to count the countries that didn't manufactured or assambled tv sets that the ones who did. But starting with the '70's, in the Capitalist side Japanese invasion camed and 1st victims as far as I know where the Brits and the Italians.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Pretty much the same thing happened here. Here-& in Western Europe, we did a lot of the "Heavy Lifting", developed a lot of this stuff, figured out how to take it from a laboratory curiosity to something that could be easily made & sold for a relatively cheap price. Then, we let the Japanese come over here, they saw our processes, went back home, refined what we did a bit, & left us in the dust. Also, we didn't innovate-Why didn't RCA, in 1962, start working on a 5", all transistor, COLOR set when Sony debuted their (In)famous 5-303 B/W set is beyond me. Surely, RCA must have had the technical smarts to have pulled it off, if they didn't, NO ONE did. I remember reading somewhere that in 1949, Gen. Sarnoff was testifying before congress on the development of color tv, & an exasperated aidw told him, "General, most of this stuff you're talking about has not even been invented yet. How can you be so certain it is even feasible ?!?" Sarnoff looked at the guy & told him, "I TOLD my engineers to do it. And they WILL..." And they did. Wish we still had guys like Sarnoff in industry, instead of legions upon legions of trembling "Managers" who can run everything from a fruit stand to General Motors, but don't know squat about the products they "Manage" They can take at least 12 cents worth of "Cost" out of every dime of said cost in anything, but they never seem to know when they start cutting the VALUE out of what they're sharpening their cost-cutting knives over....
Old 05-05-2019, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not 100% certain but I think the sets in that film are Ferguson 506T and 606T.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ferguson_506t.html
Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM
I love old stuff

Exclamation

Sandy_G , if the thing with the colour tv set is true... another big chance that "R.C.A." could use to become top exporter and they screwed it.

ppppenguin , can you please write me an e-mail intitled "British radios" at nationalvs43 at yahoo.com or gmail.com . I want to ask you something.
Or if you prefer, I'll p.m. you my faceboo adress.

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 05-05-2019 at 12:57 PM.