Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Not to be picayunish, but the severed neck didn't exactly fall off as it was still captured inside the yoke which was securely strapped to the jug. The only ones i ever seen were cut right where the neck joins the bell.
Actually, the neck does fall all the way off on some models. The earlier ones with the 4 springs were retained by the yoke, but the later ones with the upright chassis didn't have anything but the tube neck supporting the yoke, and the convergence board was also weighing down the yoke housing.

Charles
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
I think I've said this before, but here goes again: That chassis is the best TV ever built, and will work forever. I have plenty of parts for those, and even a few complete working spare sets. On the audio issue, I'd first check/clean/tighten the pin sockets on the IF module, and also pull the chassis and resolder EVERY ground lug (at both ends, and in some cases in the center) of each terminal strip on that chassis. By doing that, you will pre-repair about 99.999% of all known issues.

That tuner and controller can be a bit quirky, and there were two versions of it (electromechanical and full-electronic), and the electromechanical one sometimes gets problems with tuner drifting and lights going out. Again, cleaning and touching up solder connections will fix that.

Charles
That was an old post, the sound IF module had actually been cracked, and someone had attempted to resolder the traces across the crack. I wound up just replacing the whole unit. The lights going out on the tuner was just caused by dirty contacts.

The only issue I'm having now, is when the set's only been on for about 30 min or less, it will intermittently flash white horizontal lines across the screen. (Not too often though, sometimes it doesn't do it at all) It appears to be identical to a problem I had on another color Zenith that turned out to be caused by a corroded focus pin inside the crt socket. But that's not the case here, I took the crt socket apart and it was fine. I haven't had much time to work on tvs lately, so I was kind of hoping the problem would either get better in which case I wouldn't have to worry about it, or get worse and more consistent in which case it would be easier to track down.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Motorola Minion

25dc57 = 25ec58?

[QUOTE=kx250rider;3027900]I think I've said this before, but here goes again: That chassis is the best TV ever built, and will work forever. I have plenty of parts for those, and even a few complete working spare sets. On the audio issue, I'd first check/clean/tighten the pin sockets on the IF module, and also pull the chassis and resolder EVERY ground lug (at both ends, and in some cases in the center) of each terminal strip on that chassis. By doing that, you will pre-repair about 99.999% of all known issues.

A 25DC57 (non-SC with faux slate top cabinet) "traded in" for a Sony at the store in 1985 never made it back to the warehouse...but came home instead, lasting my parents another 15 years! All it needed initially was a critical HV cap (base to emitter on the H output transisitor, a zener diode in the regulator for 24 v and a cathode clean on the CRT to look like new.

Does anybody remember the 9-57-VCR (upgrade H osc module) that had a piggyback 9-90-02 on it. It eliminated the "flag-waving" when playing a VCR.

I have extra chassis and parts as well.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post

Does anybody remember the 9-57-VCR (upgrade H osc module) that had a piggyback 9-90-02 on it. It eliminated the "flag-waving" when playing a VCR.
I have one or two of those... Only needed on VHS, if I recall; and since Zenith only sold Beta VCRs for the first several years, it was very hospitable of them to make that module . Wasn't there also a 9-90-VCR for the upright chassis?

Charles
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you still have the 9-57 board for VCR, I will buy it from you. What was the number that Zenith used for the updated module?
Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkl67 View Post
If you still have the 9-57 board for VCR, I will buy it from you. What was the number that Zenith used for the updated module?
I will look to see what I have. I saved all the parts from the two 25DC57 sets I parted out. One of them was a remote control
I will PM you if I have the 9-57-VCR (9-90 piggy-back on a 9-57 PCB)
Old 12-30-2017, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This is one of 2 sets I picked up from drh4683 yesterday, it uses the very last of the horizontal solid state chassis, and the SC600 remote. Initially turning it on only revealed 2 minor problems, a dirty vol control and a problem with the channel number lights staying lit. The picture on this set is excellent, the remote unit works consistently, but after watching it for a while last night, I had more trouble with the sound. Sometimes the sound will just cut out entirely, when this happens I can still hear static when I turn the volume control, so the audio output is still working. Turning the set on and off a few times always restores the sound. This uses the 150-214 sound module, which has no transistors, just 2 ICs. Once I fix the sound, this set will probably replace my ctc-10 as my main watching set.

The other set I picked up is this 63 Zenith 19" b/w SC300 in the metal cabinet. The set itself needs some cleaning up, but works fine, although the remote receiver isn't working at all. If anyone has any of the built in antennas that go with these, I now have 3 sets that need them. I also need to come up with something to replace the missing 4 plastic pads on the bottom of this set. I think I could never collect too many Zenith b/w sets in metal cabinets, this is my 5th.
Hi,
Just a general question about Zenith Avanti 25" floor models from 1969-74. I see yours is a flat front (No dials). Just wondering if they made a space command remote for earlier models with dials...and if so, did the dial move when changing the channels with the remote?
Strange question, right?
We had a tv as a kid that we think was an Avanti, but we aren't sure. My sister and I agree that the remote clicker made the dial turn on the tv. The body styling looks right.
Hope you can help,
Gumbycrunch
Old 12-30-2017, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

There actually is a motor in ones like mine that physically rotate a switch. It's just not something that's accessible from the front. Rather, there's buttons on the control panel behind the door for changing the channel (called power-tuning). The motor is inside the set behind that panel, the switch it rotates is actually two switches that are sandwiched between two circuit boards. (one changes the channel and one changes which number lights up to the left of the panel) You can preset 14 channels, and which frequency each channel is set to is controlled by 14 little thumbwheels on the control panel.

The first Zenith remote set was in 1956, something called the flashmatic (the remote looked like a ray-gun and used visible light directed at photosensors on the set) The first Zenith space command ultrasonic remote was in 1957 (which does have manual knob-in-front tuning, and a motor to rotate the tuner - I have a '57 SC200 21" B&W console). The last that has a motor to physically rotate a tuner to change the channel was probably in 1979. (I have a '79 19" color table set with the SC1000 and manual tuning, but the knob is hidden behind a door)

The first year for the Avanti was, I believe, 1972 because I've seen them with the hybrid chassis, and they made them at least until '79, because I've seen System 3 Avantis. I know for certain there were non-remote Avantis with knob tuning. But as to whether there was ever a remote Avanti with manual tuning - I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist. I can take a look through my Zenith manuals later and see if anything comes up.

Last edited by Adam; 12-30-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

An incomplete Avanti history

B- line 1971 none shown

C-line 1972
First flat chassis & varactor tuners intro.
C4730X1 non SC, probably hybrid.
C6730X1 remote, varactor tuner, almost sure a flat chassis.

D-line 1973
D4760X non SC
SD2564X SC
SD2568X pop up combo. Separate SPKRS, AM-FM, 8T player.
Set itself also has 2 spkrs so is abt 6" wider. VERY rare.

E-line 1974
4 lead cap intro !
Switch from flat to CC2 chassis came mid line so MAY have come either way.
E4760X non SC
SE2564X SC
SE2590X combo as above

F-line
SF2590X " Avante XV" flat chassis ! combo as above.
SF2564X "Avante XIV" CC2
F4760X "Avante XIV" non SC
mini Avantes 19"
SF1962X "Avante XI" SC
F4082X "Avante XI" non SC

G-line 1976
G4750X non SC. Gets new 18 position rotary tuner.

1977-1980 catologues missing

M line 1981
SM2535X "Avante 2000" SC, OSD w/clock, comb filter.
2nd generation System 3
That seems to be the last one...........

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Motorola Minion

I had a D-line (1973) 25V console 25DC57 - the common fugly Mediterranean/plastic molding cabinet. I parted it out to fix other sets.

This model came with space command (4-button clicker) and a standard knob tuner (GVG). Of course set did not tune UHF channels with remote.

I would not be surprised to see an Avanti model with this equipment, those 1972-77 non-varactor rotary tuners performed a bit better in fringe areas.
Audiokarma
Old 04-30-2018, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
An incomplete Avanti history

B- line 1971 none shown

C-line 1972
First flat chassis & varactor tuners intro.
C4730X1 non SC, probably hybrid.
C6730X1 remote, varactor tuner, almost sure a flat chassis.

D-line 1973
D4760X non SC
SD2564X SC
SD2568X pop up combo. Separate SPKRS, AM-FM, 8T player.
Set itself also has 2 spkrs so is abt 6" wider. VERY rare.

E-line 1974
4 lead cap intro !
Switch from flat to CC2 chassis came mid line so MAY have come either way.
E4760X non SC
SE2564X SC
SE2590X combo as above

F-line
SF2590X " Avante XV" flat chassis ! combo as above.
SF2564X "Avante XIV" CC2
F4760X "Avante XIV" non SC
mini Avantes 19"
SF1962X "Avante XI" SC
F4082X "Avante XI" non SC

G-line 1976
G4750X non SC. Gets new 18 position rotary tuner.

1977-1980 catologues missing

M line 1981
SM2535X "Avante 2000" SC, OSD w/clock, comb filter.
2nd generation System 3
That seems to be the last one...........

73 Zeno
LFOD !
I have what must be one of the D line sets in the white pedestal cabinet with the pop up. It worked great for a couple of years (except the 8-track player), at which point the yoke at the back of the CRT broke and I haven't any luck finding another. The stereo still works great and has surprisingly good sound for the day. If anyone knows where I could find a good replacement CRT, please let me know. If not, I'm going to give it away or junk it, which is a shame.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is the CRT itself broken or the yoke ??? The CRT or yoke should be easy to
find used. Hows about a pix of what you need? There is also one repair
you MUST MUST do if you fix her up if it hasnt been done yet.
Whatever you do DONT throw it away. Its a very rare set & if you have
the matching speakers thats even better.

73 Zeno
LFOD !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6768 View Post
I have what must be one of the D line sets in the white pedestal cabinet with the pop up. It worked great for a couple of years (except the 8-track player), at which point the yoke at the back of the CRT broke and I haven't any luck finding another. The stereo still works great and has surprisingly good sound for the day. If anyone knows where I could find a good replacement CRT, please let me know. If not, I'm going to give it away or junk it, which is a shame.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6768 View Post
If you could get it a ride to the ETF I'd gladly pay you $50 for it as is.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4