Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rants of a 1970's Era Repairman

This is written in a humorous tone, but was curious to see if anyone out there during that time frame that was in repairs, had the same issues, and wondering if you have any of those sets today if you have the same problems. I still collect and have a basement full of old sets, so I am not making fun of anyone who has a certain type or fondness for a set I'm ranting about. This was just how it was thru my eyes in the 70's, having to go out on repair calls and keep these daily watchers going. Also, share your experiances!

RCA-- for the most part, not bad, but come summertime, it was back to back flyback replacement, with the CTC-38/39 being the most god-awful set they ever put out.

Zenith --- Not bad, and for the most part trouble-free, but when they did develop an issue, it seemed to be something weird and time consuming.

Motorola --- UGH! For the few that were around then, the most horrid picture on a TV I ever saw. Fleshtones were NEVER right.

Motorola/Quasar --- If you looked at one crosseyed there would be a bad module, or some damn intermittant problem. The modules were expensive then, and getting hard to come by the early 80's

GE--- Another horrid one that was slightly better than a Motorola tube set, but not by much.

Any "house" brand ---- Bradford,Coronado,Trutone,JC Penney... Hard to get parts for. At that time, if it was a "specific" part that was not generic, you had to go thru them to get the part, and man.. they charged a ton.

Thoughts? Opinions?