Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
electronics packrat

I've got a VCR hooked to my 15" Zenith B/W and it'll be recording as the picture goes to snow here at 7:00 AM tomorrow, and have a camcorder aimed at some sets in the shop.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Radio Collector

I'm finding it hard to type over the noise of the raster on my CTC-7. I feel like adjusting the channel knob, but I know I won't find much on.

Many (but not all) of Chicago and Milwaukee's TV stations choose 12 noon to shut down analog transmissions today. I was lucky enough to come home for lunch and watch the end of a broadcast era on my CTC-7. I was disappointed to find no real recognition of the change on many Chicago stations. I was however able to pick up WISN 12 out of Milwaukee, which put on a nice compilation of great moments of their broadcast history since 1954. It was somehow fitting because I purchased this TV in Milwaukee and I'm sure that it wasn't the first time some of those historic images were scanned across the screen.

As predicted, at 12 noon, WISN flashed their old WTVW test pattern, displayed a brief message Channel 12 1954-2009, and flipped the switch.

For the many people who are welcoming digital TV today, I was glad to have the opportunity to join the few who chose to look back and say goodbye to an old friend.

Last edited by classicradio; 06-12-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

With people scrambling to get a converter box at the last minute I found one at Goodwill today still sealed for $9.99

It's a Funai made Magnavox, I've never even used the Insignia I bought with the coupon but I figured maybe I could hide it inside the cabinet of one of my old sets to make it Digital ready.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Why did they all reduce POWER

Why did the stations so drastically reduce POWER ?
The one time we had the chance to make things totally different and better the Federal Cookie Cutter government commission ruined things for me !
Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
VK Member

Why would you change from UHF to VHF? Surely thats a massive step backwards for building penetration and multipathing?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

In most cases, a step backward for building penetration, but a step forward when it comes to multipath (also a step backwards for household electrical noise).

VHF also has an advantage through trees and hills, but the real appeal of going back to VHF highband is saving on electrical power. A TV transmitter is generally expected to operate 24/7 and the electric bill for a 1000kW UHF DTV station can be huge. VHF allows more "paper coverage" (coverage according to rules but not necessarily in viewability, and assuring cable/satellite carriage) for a lot less money than UHF.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

WBAL Baltimore went from 500KW UHF to 5KW VHF

Looks like that is what WBAL wanted was guaranteed CABLE coverage and not too worried about the few over the air households that are still left.
They went back to their original Channel 11 VHF channel , so rabbit-ears are useless just 8 miles from the transmitter.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ghosts on VHF won't vary as much than on UHF, especially doe to broadcast towers bouncing around from wind. That tower shake can make the broadcast antennas move a substantial fraction of the carrier wavelength on UHF vs VHF. That means that ghosts at receivers are varying too quick for most DTV receivers to process out the ghost conditions.

Of course the main motivation was mentioned in a post above, to get paper coverage and cable must carry at low electric bill costs.