Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Who Knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by targeteye View Post
how on earth did you find that collection for sale?
The entire collection of both radios and vintage audio was posted on eBay in August of 2005. They did not sell based on price, logistics, and the fact that their were over 600+ items not including tubes, books, manuals and more.

He then tried to sell just the audio equipment (two more times), again to no avail as not many people could take that big of a bite.

As the high bidder on the audio the third time around (I didn't meet his reserve), I then contacted the seller directly and asked if I could come down and take a look. I was not even considering the radios but when I saw ALL of it together, I was both shocked and amazed!

I left w/o making an offer but emailed him the next morning as I had a nice six hour drive home to ponder the possibilities. My offer for ALL of the items including the radios was WAY below his asking price just for the vintage audio. I didn't anticipate it would be accepted and only made the offer to save face since I had made the long drive back and forth. To my astonishment, the offer was accepted He was even responsible for all packing, getting two guys to pack, load and drive it back to Virginia. He was such a super gentleman, I trusted him to pack properly and the guys did a fantastic job. I was pleasantly surprised when I came back down to bring it all back up on the care taken to ensure all would arrive safely.

Needless to say, it has been a life changing experience that has exposed this equipment to buyers around the globe. I have more some the greatest people including the members here because of it although I had many pieces of my own before this.

The stories I could tell would fill any pages but this post is already WAAAY too long and probably have ored anyone who takes the time to read it but it has been one amazing adventure!

Barry

Currently running a McIntosh C-2200, MC-225/275, MAC 5100, VPI Scoutmaster TT, MR-67 FM Tuner, MCD-7009 CDP, Polk XM Tuner, QUAD ESL 57's, Klipsch Klipschorns, Altec Model 19's, Pioneer SX-1050, and more!

Last edited by barrynsue; 04-29-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

When Puett Electronics was still in business (owner now deceased), they published a booklet, "The Classic Radio Collector's Handbook," with lots of information about McMurdo Silver and Scott radios, including appraisal values, serial numbers, etc.

Puett also claimed to have 2,500 pieces of McMurdo literature, including such gems as monthly issues of the "McMurdo Silver Times" from 1933. If I recall correctly, after he died, his inventory was sold to Radio Era Archives. See http://www.radioera.com/mall/classic-literature.asp . I don't know how much of Puett's original stuff they may still have.

The Stein console book lists a few 1935 McMurdo Silver consoles with similar cabinets. Values range from $5K to $6K. The chassis (Masterpiece IV) is later than yours, with a big round dial and knobs all in a single row. I think Stein indulges in "designer pricing" in a lot of cases, but that's his opinion, for what it's worth.

Which doesn't really answer your question, but it may give you some things to look for if you visit a swap meet or troll the sources for old radio literature.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Who Knows!

Phil,

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find but I guess if I ever decide to sell, the market will determine the value. I did have an offer some time back for 6K but I wasn't interested in selling.

BTW, you have a GREAT site!

Barry

Currently running a McIntosh C-2200, MC-225/275, MAC 5100, VPI Scoutmaster TT, MR-67 FM Tuner, MCD-7009 CDP, Polk XM Tuner, QUAD ESL 57's, Klipsch Klipschorns, Altec Model 19's, Pioneer SX-1050, and more!