Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:34 PM
RCA 741PCS

Philco 15DX restoration project

I picked up this Philco 15DX from 1932 recently. It originally sold for $250 and only 1,500 were made so it's fairly rare I think. Here's a little more info.

The veneer is loose, water damaged or missing altogether at the base, top and one side of the tambour doors.

The speakers are really rusted out and need to be re-coned - if they're even any good!

Finally, there's the components. Dog-bone resistors, bakelite blocks, early electrolytics and some odd looking metal boxes.

It's going to be my most challenging project to date.

Here it is just as I got it and highlighting some of the damage.

Here it is after some cleaning and Old English.

Last edited by bandersen; 07-17-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find. It must weigh a ton.

One observation I had is that there seems to be a number of globe shaped tubes in the radio. You might want to try to sell them and replace them with the later ST types. This would help with the cost of restoration.

Here is the schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...8/M0013138.pdf

Good luck with it.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy55 View Post
Nice find. It must weigh a ton.

One observation I had is that there seems to be a number of globe shaped tubes in the radio. You might want to try to sell them and replace them with the later ST types. This would help with the cost of restoration.

Here is the schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...8/M0013138.pdf

Good luck with it.
Thanks!

Yeah, it's pretty heavy - especially with the back on it. That's a heavy wood frame with a shaggy cloth inside that covers the speaker chamber. My friend and I had to carry it up two flights of stairs

I've been going back and forth about those tubes. I really, really love those early globe tubes and having a full set of '32 vintage Philco tubes would be incredible. However, I've been checking prices on those on eBay and they don't come cheap. So it certainly is tempting to sell them individually

The set was only missing one 39 and an 80 type. I've already tracked down replacements. All the other tubes test good

I scored the set a few blocks from the address on the label from 1936!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Having Philco tubes, especially globe tubes, in a Philco radio of this vintage is a plus and makes it more valuable. I would certainly keep the Philcos and if I needed only one or two more working ones, specify Philcos when ordering. It makes a difference to collectors. This is a pretty high end radio.

Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Having Philco tubes, especially globe tubes, in a Philco radio of this vintage is a plus and makes it more valuable. I would certainly keep the Philcos and if I needed only one or two more working ones, specify Philcos when ordering. It makes a difference to collectors. This is a pretty high end radio.

Reece
Thanks for the input. Too bad only 4 of 11 tubes are the old globe style.

I've seen Philco 37, 39/44 and 80 globe tubes out there. I'm not sure about the 42s though. Were those globe tubes originally too?

Bob
Audiokarma
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
RCA 741PCS

I just answered my own question by searching eBay. There's one 42 globe out there for $18.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Its similar to my 23x ,which has a phonograph. I would keep all the original tubes in it. What did you use on the cabinet ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-012S.JPG (31.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Audiophool

I see I have the 1932 Philco service bulletin for the 15 - I can scan it if you'd like a copy.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:24 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman46 View Post
Its similar to my 23x ,which has a phonograph. I would keep all the original tubes in it. What did you use on the cabinet ?
First I cleaned with a damp cloth then Old English.

I plan on using Howard's Restore-a-Finish on the areas that are worth saving.
The top is missing a bit of veneer and needs refinishing. The bottom skirt is total trashed and missing a bit of molding. I've tracked down some decent QC and burled veneer. Now I'm experimenting with stains and finishes.

Quote:
I see I have the 1932 Philco service bulletin for the 15 - I can scan it if you'd like a copy.
Sure, I'd love a copy. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
RCA 741PCS

It's been a good week!

I've decided to restore the original tubes if possible so I did some searching on eBay and scored 3 today! They're good and I only paid about $5

7 down 4 to go. That's two 42s one 44 and an 80. The 42s and 80 are going to be pricey I think.

And... I scored some speakers with good cones!
Also purchased some speaker cloth from RadioDaze, but the stripes are running the wrong way I guess I should have specified that when I placed the order.
Not that most folks would ever notice.

I'm not sure if they are an exact replacement, but supposedly they came out of a 30's Philco and are made by Wheeler. Anyone heard of Wheeler?

Last edited by bandersen; 07-24-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Audiophool

I think I have a couple of NIB Philco 39/44s, but ST shape. I'll look through my used tubes. 80 was common, but it's expensive, since every radio used one and it was one of the first ones to wear out. Globe 42s aren't very common - the 42 came out in late 1932, ST tubes were already in production. The RC-10 manual (1932 or '33) does NOT show the '42 at all, though the '47 is shown as a large globe tube. The '39 is shown as globe and the '57 and '58 are ST. Philco used mainly Sylvania tubes though, so the RCA manual may not help much.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bavis View Post
I think I have a couple of NIB Philco 39/44s, but ST shape. I'll look through my used tubes. 80 was common, but it's expensive, since every radio used one and it was one of the first ones to wear out. Globe 42s aren't very common - the 42 came out in late 1932, ST tubes were already in production. The RC-10 manual (1932 or '33) does NOT show the '42 at all, though the '47 is shown as a large globe tube. The '39 is shown as globe and the '57 and '58 are ST. Philco used mainly Sylvania tubes though, so the RCA manual may not help much.
Thanks for the info. I have a few 39/44 STs too. There's one lone 42 globe on eBay for $18. I think I'll wait until I can find a a pair. I can use the J&R and Raytheon ST 42s it came with in the meantime even though they're weak.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
... specify Philcos when ordering...
Hi Reece,
I almost forgot to thank you for the suggestion! I asked an eBayer who was selling 37s if he had any Philcos and that's how I got the two I needed
Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Your 15DX is a real keeper.....As pointed out, very few were made and they were expensive - You could buy a pretty nice car for $250 in 1932 ! Those early big pan Philco chassis with the four gang tuner are a piece of work. I have a model 112 from 1931...great performer for an early 30s set.

It's easy to see why Philco went from making no radios in 1927, to the number one producer in the country by 1931.....their radios were great !

Good luck with te 15DX, it's well worth the effort.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, it really doesn't make any difference to the operation of the set, but it's a nice final touch to have all the tubes as original. Right, that the globe 80's and 42's are likely to be pricey.

A couple of years ago at the Kutztown radio meet a guy had a whole big box, like a banana box, chock full of loose 80's. I think they were all ST's. Somebody bought the boxful. Whenever I see an odd 80 of any type not too expensive I'll buy it.

Even if you could only find a dud globe 80 you could always put it in the radio for looks and install silicon diodes under the chassis on the tube socket, but I'll bet you find what you're looking for.

If you're running the radio for longer periods you might want to put some ST's back in it for everyday operation and save the precious globes for show and special occasions, like show and tell!

Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.

Last edited by Reece; 07-25-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Audiokarma