Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2016, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unknown IO camera, presumably East German?

Good evening,

those who know many makes of IO cameras may take a look at
https://vimeo.com/149254145
at 21:06 and next shot, 58:01, 58:47 and 59:24:

Any idea about this camera model?

If no one can recognize it otherwise: I suspect this is the last hurray of East German broadcast TV cameras, called FUK 5 or QP 53, of which I could not find any photos so far. The pictures of these cameras are really good (I could see some of this video elsewhere, where it had not been so terribly compressed as in this Vimeo upload).

The other IO cameras in this compilation, with the characteristic fan and side handlings on the top, are the earlier FUK 2 / QP 52, giving somewhat grainy pictures. No idea about the Vidicon handheld, but I think it's safe to assume that it is as well a VEB Werk für Fernsehelektronik or VEB Studiotechnik Berlin (studio equipment had been outsourced from WF to this new company at some point) product, kind of an offshoot of their line of industrial cameras.

That whole video is a compilation from the early B&W editions of a show called "Ein Kessel Buntes" (venue is the old Friedrichstadtpalast in Berlin that due to a rapid dilapidation had to be closed in 1980 and torn down afterwards). Remarkable are the segments 45:45-49:30, 1:03:56-1:08:03 and 1:16:35-1:33:03 (here until 1:21:30 with cameras prominently appearing in vision), shot with Marconi Mark VII: It appears that the Mark VII have indeed been used in the dedicated monochrome mode of these cameras. It was a one-off, and as such the last edition of this show broadcast in B&W. Thus I suspect that the plan was to broadcast already this one in colour and some delay in the equipment upgrading came into the way.

In fact the appearance of Mireille Mathieu has elsewhere been uploaded in colour – but in this colour version she suddenly helds a Gefell handset. Thus I suspect this colour version is a rehearsal recording.