Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old TV in Basement

Link to bunch of pictures

From what I can tell it is from the 1950s.

This TV was built into the wall in the basement when I bought the house in 2015. The basement was clearly converted into a rec room in the 1960s as the trademark orange and green were everywhere so I'm assumed the TV was from that time frame. House was built in 1956 or 57.

Everyone that sees it tells me "Ohh, I bet that's worth a lot of money!" when they see it. Whenever I work up the ambition to research it I can't find much of anything about it. I know Admiral was a brand but I can't find anything that looks like this one.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth keeping or should I just tear it out and trash it? I'm in the process of renovating my basement so it needs to be removed either way.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not worth much. The base on that CRT is pretty mangled which is a bad sign. Hard to tell what condition the cabinet is in. If you post your location someone might be willing to help you remove it and haul it away.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:22 PM
M is for Memory

50s 21" monochrome sets like that are among the least valuable of vintage sets. Depending on how much the cabinet was changed/damaged to install it and how easy it is to put back to original and where you are located (these cost more than they are worth to ship so local supply and demand is what sets value) that set is worth $70 at best and at worst will cost $30 to recycle. Odds are if you remove it it will be $10-25 worth of parts to someone.

If you wanted to keep the basement original and restore the set to working condition that's possible.

It's probably from the year the house was built. CRTs got shallower around 1960. Cascode is a circuit topology used in the tuner (other makes and models used it). Serial numbers are not useful in identifying it. Model number or chassis number will ID it. Most makes had 1-3 different chassis in a model year but 10-100 different cabinets and each cabinet got its own model number.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-03-2020, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it were my basement, I'd fix it and use it in place. But I'm weird like that, hence why I'm here........oh and Welcome to VK!
Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Audiokarma