Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vertical Collapsing on a Sony 5-303W Microtv

I have had my Sony 5-303W Microtv for about 6 months now, and only now am I realizing that the verticle is collapsed. I found out after looking up some other photos of the same model and seeing a full bright screen. I just assumed that because there were no transmitted video signals that the screen was thin, but I guess not. I am here to ask for help on how to fix this vertical collapse. Here are some photos: https://imgur.com/a/OBWPqJU. I tried asking this same question on a subreddit and they only diagnosed the television with vertical collapse, saying it had something to do with a capacitor? Could anyone here help diagnose it further? Or possibly help me identify which parts are faulty. If you need to see some photos of the inside they are here: https://imgur.com/a/ZndSpEh

I am 17 years old and do not have much experience with electronics, but I am open to learning. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2021, 12:47 PM
Administrator

It's more than just the vertical, the entire raster has shrunk.
It could be a bad capacitor in the power supply section causing low voltages in the set.

It's nearly 60 years old, it probably has a lot of failing Electrolytic capacitors in it. I would not operate it any more in this condition, it could cause bigger problems.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have been not operating it lately in fear of ruining it further. Thank you for the information.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:11 PM
M is for Memory

What I would do is get a copy of the same photofact service manual for the set. The Sam's parts list will show all the capacitors in it. I would use the parts list and schematic to make a list of all electrolytic capacitors in the set then I'd search and buy modern replacements on Mouser.

If you are not experienced soldering, buy some type of electronic kit that requires soldering to assemble and build it for practice.

Solder the new capacitors into the TV (be mindful of +/- capacitor wiring polarity...if you get it wrong the caps will explode) install 2-3 capacitors at a time and power the set on to make sure you didn't make things worse (if you did stop and check your work). Once all lytic caps are changed if it isn't working right ask us if the issue is adjustment or parts related. If parts related voltage and resistance checks against the schematic will be the way to localize the issue.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-29-2021, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did soldering once, on the black box that plugs into the tv actually. It wasn't that hard but I assume doing it on a television will be harder. Thank you for the response!
Audiokarma
Old 03-29-2021, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good advice so far. I would just add that you not try and adjust any internal adjustments. The internal adjustments are for aligning and optimizing the image and signal path when all the components are working correctly. Specialized equipment and knowledge is required to do this. Your problem will not be cured with any adjustment.