Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

GMC Suburban "SONY Limited Edition"

So, the other day I walked by this fairly typical-looking 90s GMC Suburban parked at my apartment complex, except I noticed a badge on the c-pillar that read “SONY Limited Edition”. Did some googling, turns out GMC and Sony teamed up to build the ultimate high-tech luxury SUV back in 1997 and only 100 were built. It's anybody's guess how many are still roadworthy 20 years later. Thought this might be interesting to you retro tech guys, here’s an excerpt from a January 2, 1998 Motor Trend article that explains what $72,975 (~$116,000 in 2019 dollars) would get you:
Quote:
Based on a half-ton, 1500-series four-wheel-drive Suburban, the Sony Limited is powered by the familiar 5.7-liter/255-horsepower, Vortec V-8. To that, GMC adds heated highback leather seats with the Sony logo stitched in, wood accents on the steering wheel, center console, and door panels, as well as GM's own OnStar satellite communications system and a HomeLink transmitter. On the outside, an aggressively styled body kit features an integrated side step and big P275/70R16 tires on six-spoke wheels.

Sony's contribution to the vehicle is every conceivable piece of vehicular entertainment electronics. That includes a 480-watt, eight-speaker sound system, four LCD TV monitors fitted into the seatbacks, one 9-inch TV monitor in the rear of the center console, a VCR, a Playstation game system, a cellular phone, a 10-CD changer with four sets of headphones and 100 CDs, and 24 videos to play and watch. In addition, Sony throws in a set of custom luggage, sports apparel, including two leather jackets, and invitations to special Sony entertainment events.
Motor Trend article: https://www.motortrend.com/news/gmc-...nsive-suburban

And a few pictures of one that was offered for sale a few years ago:

Source of pictures: http://www.2040-cars.com/Chevrolet/S...marcus-841963/
Old 09-16-2019, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is there a bezel that's missing or something around the TV? It looks SO kludged.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hmmmmmpf... Woulda Been better if it had been a 3/4 tonne.. My Y2K Ferd Mighty Valdez-AKA The Excursion- is basically a tonne Super Duty pickup, & I have NEVER felt working over my Lunch w/it, hauling stuff or people, either one.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Is there a bezel that's missing or something around the TV? It looks SO kludged.
Nope its the off the shelf 9" AC/DC color set. Very nice little set.
Foolish. Probably the cost of 2 base suburbans with the same
drive line. There is one born every day.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 09-16-2019, 10:05 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
It looks like it is missing a bezel. Probably fell off eons ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Hmmmmmpf... Woulda Been better if it had been a 3/4 tonne.. My Y2K Ferd Mighty Valdez-AKA The Excursion- is basically a tonne Super Duty pickup, & I have NEVER felt working over my Lunch w/it, hauling stuff or people, either one.
Well the Excursion is actually a bigger truck chassis. For Suburbans (indeed as a general rule for all makes) the weight rating is for hauling capacity, and realistically only affects the suspension's ability to hold up the weight, and usually has nothing to do with the powertrain's capacity to pull it. Excepting that a 3500 typically isn't available with the smallest engine size offered with the 1500.

TLDR - It took me this long to realize that 1500 -IS- 3/4 of a ton, and I could've just said that. :P Also, even if it was a 2500, it'd still have the same 5.7L motor.
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's an aftermarket conversion, like an old school conversion van.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

$72,000 in 1998 dollars and no 7.4 Vortec? tisk tisk

Most of the GMT400 3/4 ton 'Burbs had the 7.4........
Old 09-17-2019, 06:17 PM
M is for Memory

If I happened upon one cheap that would be an interesting TV hauler to own.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

This was deep in the era when GM was selling every single Suburban they could crank out; they'd killed the Caprice/Impala SS/Roadmaster/Fleetwood so they could use that plant to build more Suburbans. Over $10k solid profit on every single one out the door. Fun while it lasted!
Old 10-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Excursions get much more work done than Urbanizers. GMC= Gotta Mechanic Coming, Great Maintenance Cost, General Mess o' Crap. Valdez makes Urbanizer look like soccer mommy toy.
Audiokarma