Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

I believe that the FCC still has the ability to license superpower stations, it just has decided not to.

Our local college FM station was at one time 300 kW, but they let that lapse so as to get a taller tower. The new tower is a couple of miles farther away, but the older one calculates to have put a substantially larger signal into the lown of license. Its now only 100 kW. (Signal to noise is now limited by distortion products of the IBOC carriers, not signal level).
Old 06-22-2022, 08:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
I believe that the FCC still has the ability to license superpower stations, it just has decided not to.

Our local college FM station was at one time 300 kW, but they let that lapse so as to get a taller tower. The new tower is a couple of miles farther away, but the older one calculates to have put a substantially larger signal into the lown of license. Its now only 100 kW. (Signal to noise is now limited by distortion products of the IBOC carriers, not signal level).
Ok, interesting for some reason I thought I had read somewhere (and it may have been on here somewhere) that the FCC was no longer licensing new stations that were more than 50 kW...

Also that aforementioned Ken Burns Documentary I talking about in one of my previous posts in this thread was talking specifically about WSM out of Nashville Tennessee (the station that was home to the Grand Ole Opry for many years and still is AFAIK, that station at one time was also a 500 kW blowtorch and that Ken Burns Documentary mentioned that WSM and it's live broadcasts of the Grand Ole Opry in the 1940s and 1950s was how most of the early Country Music Stars like Johnny Cash and his wife (when she was part of the Carter Family Singers) and others became famous outside of the USA.