Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

That poor lady needs a good cheeseburger, or few......
Old 07-13-2023, 06:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

My wife and I bought a portable building to set up for our hobbies, she does sewing and I do old electronics.Its a 12x40 building and we are decorating it with old items, I have lots of old TV and other shop advertising stuff. Anyway I found some of the old green porcelain lights you use to see everywhere. I also had a old hay lift from a barn I dismantled for the lumber.

We needed a light for the hallway between the two areas and I had seen lights made like this so I made it. I really like it as it goes along with the rest of the stuff we have to decorate the shop. I have got five of the green shades for what one usually goes for. I have a lot of old signs and display from old TV shops I have been buying for years to go into the building. We wanted to decorate it to remind a person of the old stores you use to see years ago.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy3486 View Post
My wife and I bought a portable building to set up for our hobbies, she does sewing and I do old electronics.Its a 12x40 building and we are decorating it with old items, I have lots of old TV and other shop advertising stuff. Anyway I found some of the old green porcelain lights you use to see everywhere. I also had a old hay lift from a barn I dismantled for the lumber.

We needed a light for the hallway between the two areas and I had seen lights made like this so I made it. I really like it as it goes along with the rest of the stuff we have to decorate the shop. I have got five of the green shades for what one usually goes for. I have a lot of old signs and display from old TV shops I have been buying for years to go into the building. We wanted to decorate it to remind a person of the old stores you use to see years ago.

Great! My wife and me also are planning to built a space for our hobbies, but we only have space here if we build other floor above...
My wife like old lamp fixtures (me too), but normally this things are expensive here when we finally find one on antiques shops...
Old 07-25-2023, 09:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I finally gave up on the retracting mechanism and just put the light up at a set length. The spiral spring in there was bent back on itself and I tried to bend it back - but that didn't work, it just broke. Then, I pulled the spring out of another lamp - but that one didn't have enough springiness left in it to actually pull the lamp back up after it was down. It looks good even if it doesn't retract, I'll post a picture later.

I'm working on that 1920s one now, and I want to strip all the old paint off it and repaint it, but am not having much luck finding paint in a similar color (I was hoping to just find spray paint in a can) - it's sort of a nonmetallic copper color. Has anyone found anything that looks good for these?
We had one of those pull-down dinette table fixtures I installed in a place we rented. After installing it, lamped it with the proper wattage lamps and installed the grass diffuser. After an hour, the glass shattered! I know, I didn't overtighten it. We replaced it with a cheap plastic replacement.
We only moved the height a few times in the ten years we lived there!
Old 07-25-2023, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex KL-1 View Post
Great! My wife and me also are planning to built a space for our hobbies, but we only have space here if we build other floor above...
My wife like old lamp fixtures (me too), but normally this things are expensive here when we finally find one on antiques shops...
I got lucky and got these really cheap. They popped up on Facebook marketplace and I contacted the lady. They had been used in a small downtown building used for a restaurant. The woman and her husband bought the building and gutted it to redo. I paid for five for about what one goes for. Deals are out there you just have to get lucky and find them. There is someone who sells new parts on Etsy at a decent price.
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2023, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

I dig the lights in the opening post. Grandma's house vibes for sure.

At work I pulled a bunch of hot dipped galvanized chandeliers with glass shades out of an old Golden Corral back in 2012, probably 1990s vintage. I installed them in our current warehouse late in 2021. They hang above a wood dance floor surrounded by big ass doors from India. Looks pretty cool actually.....
Old 09-06-2023, 02:00 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Nice pics everyone!!!!!
Old 09-08-2023, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pics or it didn’t happen

https://flic.kr/p/2p1KA7i

https://flic.kr/p/2p1Ej7p