Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM
rpallesen

CTC-100 best way to sell?

I own a RCA CTC-100 which I purchased from a television store in Hiawatha Kansas. The store McQueen TV purchased the set to sell and it never sold. When the store's owner Jim McQueen retired I purchased the set from him. It was on display and worked. Jim had mentioned that RCA would occasionaly borrow the set for conventions in Kansas City but hadn't contacted him in several years. That was 15 years ago.

Jim made sure the set worked perfectly and gave me the repair manual and a complete set of tubes for the set. The high voltage tube was broken "by my kids" as well as the channel knob. I have the knob and it could be repaired.

Right now the TV is in climate controlled storage and I have decided it is probably time to part with it. It is complete, origional, and works perfectly. I remember watching a KC Chiefs play off game on it. "it has been a long time since the Chiefs were in the play offs". The tube is bright and the color very good. I was amazed at how good it looked.

I have decided to sell my complete collection of televisions. I have 20-30 sets most not working. The CTC-100 is the only one in climate controlled storage.

I have been looking on ebay and can't find any history on CTC-100 sets. I am also very dissapointed at the value of many vintiage sets. I don't know if I should hold a local auction or sell them on ebay.

Advice?

I would really like to just sell the entire collection. I also have a complete SAMS collection "also from McQueen TV" and boxes and boxes and boxes of tubes. "20 or so apple boxes of new and used tubes. Most new in boxes" I have become interested in old McIntosh tube amplifier equipment and will probably keep the audio tubes but the TV tubes, radio tubes and the TV collection needs to go. Somebody needs to care for them and restore them. They are a beautiful part of electronics history.

I used to service and repair VCRs and TVs for a living. I don't know how I did this but I started saving old top loading VCRs when they came thru the shop. I have a dozen of them most with knob tuning. All in perfect working order "but the rubber has been sitting and that was 15 years ago" Are they worth anything?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Welcome to AK. If you let us know your location by updating your profile, it will be a HUGE help to any party that might be interested.

First of all, I'm assuming you mean the CT-100, which was from about 1954, has a huge cabinet with a 15 inch screen and the "Rca Victor" Logo on what looks like a "pencil box" front panel door? I've not heard of the CTC-100. The CTC series that had three digits were manufactured in the late 80s and later.

The CT-100 is a very valuable thing to the right collector. I'm sure the Early Television Museum wouldn't mind another one for their collection, especially if the CRT is still under vacuum. Unless the set has been completely restored I would not operate in its current condition due to the rare and un-replacable parts that could go up in smoke if a failure occurs. There are lots of television collectors here that would like a CT-100, but they would have to be local to you due to the cost of freight and the fragile nature of the CRT.

Boxes and boxes of tubes really don't have a huge selling point unless they are pre WW2 or for simple hetrodyne radios. Also, brown base military spec tubes sell for a little money, but don't expect to get hundreds of dollars.

The top loader VCRs are good reliable things if all the rubber idler tires and belts are replaced. They don't have a market and only a few are interested in them. Its mostly for people who are into late 70s and early 80s stuff to go with a set of that same time frame.

If you can upload a photo of your CT-100 or your collection for that matter, I myself and others here would love to see it.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:45 AM
rpallesen

Yes a CT -100

Sorry I had CTC on the brain. That is a common prefix for RCA sets.

There is no cabnet damage and it works perfectly. Nice picture last time I watched it. The set was never sold to the public. Jim told me it was too expensve for the Hiawatha community and not worth it for only one color channel in Omaha which they could barley get anyway. Newer models quickly came out that were much better and this one just sat in storage forever.

In the few months "when it warms up" I am going to sort the storage unit out and put all the television stuff in one unit and take pictures. The next time I go to the the storage site for the CT-100 I will take pictures of it as well. I don't plan on turning it on again. Too much at risk.

I just can't justify hanging on to this equipment. I started collecting because it was cool stuff and I love antique electronics.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread to keep all the discussion on the corrected thread.