Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
Well i dun gone and did it. I am glad to be able to be the first person to post live pics of a Penncrest 662FM-a stereo console on the web.
I added some pics of the inside.
As I said before, some private label products are amazing. Horn tweeters and large bass speakers, plus a higher end V-M changer.
If it was around this area, I would've bought it, without hesitation.
Great find!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:32 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
As I said before, some private label products are amazing. Horn tweeters and large bass speakers, plus a higher end V-M changer.
If it was around this area, I would've bought it, without hesitation.
Great find!
+1
Looks like a good find.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
+1
Looks like a good find.
The firm is still in business, of course, they're not building that kind of equipment. Displays for the gaming industry.
They started in 1925.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Motorola Minion

That looks like a great console. This is nothing like taking the back off to confirm what a fine set of matched components you got

The platter mat on that record changer looks identical to a 1963 Zenith changer I'm working on now. The control levers and tone arm are nothing like it though. Very interesting.

The 7868 was not used often and I only recall working on a Fisher 400 that used them in push-pull.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Guys! and especially DieselJeep I forgot about these old stereos using good parts in them. The Horn tweeters had a warning sticker on them about disassembling them will void the warranty, and said Jensen Mfg co.
I hooked up a pair of RCA cables to the tape input and connected that to a rca fem to mini audio plug and hooked it all up to a Ipod. Now my niece thinks the stereo if the coolest thing ever!
Audiokarma
Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Thanks Guys! and especially DieselJeep I forgot about these old stereos using good parts in them. The Horn tweeters had a warning sticker on them about disassembling them will void the warranty, and said Jensen Mfg co.
I hooked up a pair of RCA cables to the tape input and connected that to a rca fem to mini audio plug and hooked it all up to a Ipod. Now my niece thinks the stereo if the coolest thing ever!
Many of the Wells-Gardner built radios from the mid to later 30's were among some of the finest made at the time. Their high tube count radios were more impressive than the Zenith and RCA's of the time.
Chromed chassis and two large speakers, variable IF band-pass.
The largest models used PP 6L6's, the smaller models used 6F6's with a triode connected 6F6 as a driver stage, two stages of IF's etc.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I just picked up the identical unit for $30. I would have paid that and more for the cabinet alone, but the electronics still work so that was a huge win. The style is great in the MCM den I've been working on, and the unit has a real nice mellow sound to it. I hooked an Amazon Audio Bluetooth receiver to the tape input RCA jacks and can play it from my phone or tablet wirelessly. Neat mix of old and new.

The dials on the set make a lot of noise when I turn them to adjust volume/bass/treble. Sometimes one channel will drop out entirely until I get the dial back into a sweet spot. Any suggestions for cleaning up those connections? I am a total novice when it comes to radios and electronics, so would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM
M is for Memory

Spray some electrical contact cleaner in to the gap where the terminals are on the potentiometers on the inside of the unit and and turn the pots end to end a few times.

I recommend De-Ox-Id as your contact cleaner. I use it, and find it to be a good balance of high effectiveness and low price. https://www.google.com/search?q=De-O...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Penncrest name started being used by Penney's in early 1963. Down in my area, there was a tube stereo that had a jPc logo on it. I know it's late '50's or early '60's, but some youngster who isn't even 30 yet said "It's not Penney's, it would say Penncrest on it if it was. They did offer electronics before using the Penncrest line name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pennys Stereo.jpg (18.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasonic66 View Post
The Penncrest name started being used by Penney's in early 1963. Down in my area, there was a tube stereo that had a jPc logo on it. I know it's late '50's or early '60's, but some youngster who isn't even 30 yet said "It's not Penney's, it would say Penncrest on it if it was. They did offer electronics before using the Penncrest line name.
I once had a portable phono that branded Penneys. Below the logo it said "Always First Quality". The same caption that was on all their packaging and newspaper ads.
IIRC, it was one of those one or two tube jobs, with a VM changer.
Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2017, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Spray some electrical contact cleaner in to the gap where the terminals are on the potentiometers on the inside of the unit and and turn the pots end to end a few times.

I recommend De-Ox-Id as your contact cleaner. I use it, and find it to be a good balance of high effectiveness and low price. https://www.google.com/search?q=De-O...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Thanks! I'm looking forward to working on this. I did confuse this post with another one about a Penncrest, here are other folks' photos of the same model that I got:
Outside: http://i.imgur.com/JRY31Vz.jpg
Under the hood: https://imgur.com/a/ioAOT
Once I get the unit cleaned up I hope it sounds as good as these look!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_steve View Post
Thanks! I'm looking forward to working on this. I did confuse this post with another one about a Penncrest, here are other folks' photos of the same model that I got:
Outside: http://i.imgur.com/JRY31Vz.jpg
Under the hood: https://imgur.com/a/ioAOT
Once I get the unit cleaned up I hope it sounds as good as these look!
Most consoles of mid to higher quality (heck even some of the cheapies) usually sound great.

Be aware that this unit is creeping up on 60 being years old. The paper and electrolytic capacitors may still be good. but they go bad with age, use (worse yet extended disuse), and storage conditions...You should consider replacing the capacitors on the amp and tuner chassis. Also the rubber on the changer (motor mounts and idler wheel) can go bad from age too if the motor spins but the platter won't, won't at the right speed or there is regular rumble overtaking the audio there may be bad rubber. The cartridge and styli, as well as tubes may also wear out.

It may be fine now, but vintage electronics just like vintage cars, only survive multiple decades of use through periodic maintenance.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Most consoles of mid to higher quality (heck even some of the cheapies) usually sound great.

Be aware that this unit is creeping up on 60 being years old. The paper and electrolytic capacitors may still be good. but they go bad with age, use (worse yet extended disuse), and storage conditions...You should consider replacing the capacitors on the amp and tuner chassis. Also the rubber on the changer (motor mounts and idler wheel) can go bad from age too if the motor spins but the platter won't, won't at the right speed or there is regular rumble overtaking the audio there may be bad rubber. The cartridge and styli, as well as tubes may also wear out.

It may be fine now, but vintage electronics just like vintage cars, only survive multiple decades of use through periodic maintenance.
Thanks for the tips! I’m retiring in a couple months and this is going to be a winter project for me. I have a lot to learn but fortunately three generations of engineers in the family who have offered to help. If you looked at the photos, mine has a little darker finish but very few blemishes for a vintage cabinet. I have not had a decent stereo for over 10 years but this makes up for it. Top of the line? No, but a very nice sound and especially for the age.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool! It looks like a slightly newer model than mine. Is it a transistor model? mine was tubes but the layout looks like it was done by the same engineering team.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Mr_fixer check post 15 snapshots and you will see that it is indeed tube power. All the best,Tom.J
Audiokarma