Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 PM
M is for Memory

Got a beater Walkman/CD/mp3 player? Got an isolation transformer to power the radio and some lousy AC powered audio source with a line out jack? Got an audio signal generator? Audio is audio.

There is a small chance you could fry any source device by touching it to high voltage...use something you don't care about or a test generator designed to take some abuse, or be extra careful in how you go about connecting it (dc blocking caps are not a bad idea).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-01-2019, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Could also use the old touch a screwdriver to the grid of each tube, starting with the output tube, and isolate the problem this way based on the amplitude of the click and buzz noise the screwdriver makes.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Got a beater Walkman/CD/mp3 player? Got an isolation transformer to power the radio and some lousy AC powered audio source with a line out jack? Got an audio signal generator? Audio is audio.

There is a small chance you could fry any source device by touching it to high voltage...use something you don't care about or a test generator designed to take some abuse, or be extra careful in how you go about connecting it (dc blocking caps are not a bad idea).
I have an old portable battery powered tape player, but that's about it.

Also I tested the B+ voltage coming off of Pin 7 of the 35W4 rectifier tube and C2 (which is the first section of the power supply filter cap can), and according to the schematic it should measure 120v and I got about 130v, does that indicate anything problematic?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:06 AM
M is for Memory

Anything within 30% on a voltage test is usually ok especially B+. Line voltage in the 60s and earlier was usually assumed to be 117V and nowadays it is assumed to be 124V.

Granted if it is high at 117V input it could mean a stage is not drawing it's fair share of current....like say for instance the audio output transformer is not passing B+ to the audio output plate...

Another troubleshooting method is (assuming you have the manual and it lists the voltage at the pins of the tubes ) check the tube voltages and see if anything is too far off designed value.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-06-2019, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Anything within 30% on a voltage test is usually ok especially B+. Line voltage in the 60s and earlier was usually assumed to be 117V and nowadays it is assumed to be 124V.

Granted if it is high at 117V input it could mean a stage is not drawing it's fair share of current....like say for instance the audio output transformer is not passing B+ to the audio output plate...

Another troubleshooting method is (assuming you have the manual and it lists the voltage at the pins of the tubes ) check the tube voltages and see if anything is too far off designed value.
Well my Kill-A-Watt Meter says my outlets are putting out about 122 Volts AC. so with that in mind it seems that the B+ Voltage is within tolerance, which leaves us with only two options as to why the radio isn't putting out audio or picking up radio stations, A) we have an open IF or RF transformer or B) the output transformer is open, either one of those issues could cause my radio's symptoms.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 10-06-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Audiokarma