Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cute metal '40 Arvin 502

This tiny radio has a wonderful solid, quality feel to it. It measures only about 7" long and 4 1/2" high. The amazing thing is that's it's not repainted. I thoroughly buffed it out and touched up and few flea-bite chips. It came out like new. The color is warm buttercream ivory. It has the little metal louvered back too. Arvin made several of these, but this one is the best with it's 5-tubes and lit dial. The chassis is clean and will get a recap soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940 Arvin 502.JPG (60.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 PM
M is for Memory

I used to have the 4 tube version of that set. Thing came to me with a crummy red repaint so I repainted it forest green to compliment the brown dial...Eventually, I half-heartedly brought it to a swapmeet and even at the 'I'm hoping not to sell it' price it sold fast.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-11-2019, 04:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I used to have the 4 tube version of that set. Thing came to me with a crummy red repaint so I repainted it forest green to compliment the brown dial...Eventually, I half-heartedly brought it to a swapmeet and even at the 'I'm hoping not to sell it' price it sold fast.
Surprisingly these are quite desirable and sell for a sizable amount of money. I wanted one for years and this actually was the only chance I had at a good example at a low price. In fact it's the first time I've seen one in person! It's such an appealing little set that I realize now what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have all the "Not enuf Tooob" versions-a 2, a 3, & a 4 tuber example... All stamped cases, I think they've likely ALL been repainted over the years. Not too much of a DX machine, ANY of 'em, but if I stand on a chair, drape the tenny acrost my outstretched arms,I THINK I caught WLAC in Nashville one night on the 2 lunger... Think they were aimed at the traveling salesman type, if he got holed up in an unfamiliar town, he could at least pick up the loca Angel Modulation station, & hear the news. And if somebody borrowed it on the "Never payback" plan, I think these little gems MIGHT have sold for 8-10 buckaroos..
Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's cool. After getting this one I'm tempted to get another. Great little sets. The problem with the 2-4 tubers is if they use the 25G8 tube. It's a very tough one to replace if you need to, and I heard they will often fail. I mostly use my transmitter with these old sets, so sensitivity is never an issue. These set were only good if you lived in a city. Likely they were in kitchens and children's bedrooms mostly. I would guess that was there main target with them.
Audiokarma