Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Striving for Polymathdom!

Where to find a TV Roundie

Since I have been here at this site and browsing around I found this forum. I want a roudie to put in my computer room. What is a good place to find one? I have been looking at the local SA and GW but nothing yet.
thanks
Old 01-11-2005, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have found:

2 round sets at estate sales
1 at an auto junkyard
5 at an old TV shop
1 at a garage sale.
1 at the trade days in Stanton, TX (like a flea market/fair)
Thrift stores tend to not be the best places for the round sets....best are usually estate sales and old tv shops where they have been stored.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Another thing you might want to try is placing a want-ad in yr local newspaper. I have a roundie, never tried this, but I've read reports from guys who have, & have been quite successful. You'd be surprised at how many "little old ladies" are still hangin' on to these old things. Good luck ! -Sandy G.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

The trash. Find out what the trash days are in other areas of your town and go on a road trip. I have found alot of roundscreens in the trash. In buffalo we have big trash a couple times a year. in the 90s I would hit the mother load.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

The trash is getting less and less likely as an old-TV resource...have probably salvaged more than 100 tv's for our local community recycling days and also from the trash when I was younger and lived in Ohio...most TV's brought in are from the mid-late 80's and a lot of late 90's/2000's sets...although there are always usually a few tube sets. The average age of the sets discarded has gotten a lot newer over the past 11 years, though. A lot more tube sets in the early/mid 90's.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 01-12-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-12-2005, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Of my roundies:
1 came from the town dump
1 came from an antique mall
1 came from ebay
1 came from an indoor flea market
1 came from a used furniture store
1 was advertised in the paper

So, as you see, you have to look a lot of places. They seem to find me-when I have purposely went looking for one I almost never found it! Chad is right, fewer & fewer are coming out of the woodwork. Not much reason for someone to keep one hanging around these days. Sure can't be many daily users left anywhere, and the first time something broke on it chances are the local repair shop would just laugh at you. But don't worry, they are out there! Good luck!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are 2 RCA CTC-5's on e-bay right now. Search "RCA color".
Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Striving for Polymathdom!

Im not going the ebay route unless its local. I really dont want to ship a TV.
I am going to stop at a TV repair shop that is here locally. see what they have. Other than that i wiill just keep my eyes open. I hope to find at least one. Getting in this kinda late is a disadvantage. sounds like they are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

you, and me, and other collectors are getting thier hands on them, and then there will eventually be none left to get.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

My Philco came from a tv shop. Paid $10.00 for it in the late 70's. Had to unload it from the truck by myself. I took the legs off then rolled it end over end onto the porch and in the house. Put the legs back on set it up and it worked fine. In fact it still worked the last time I fired it up at the studio. Not great, but color pic none the less. The Zenith belonged to some friemds of my in-laws. They just brought it to me and said "want it". I actually got a 4 head beta vcr with it. The Zenith needs a coil in the chroma circuit. I broke the original when the core seized up during an alignment. It did however make a good b&w pic though. Color pic was fine I jusst had to touch it up though to center the tint control. Oh well. One day I will restore both sets.
Audiokarma
Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Banned

Know any old men who are retiring having been pioneers in radio/TV since the 40's-50's? I've got dibs on TWO, both Truetone, one color. Wish I could ship the B/W with clock, radio and phono (two piece job even) console to ya, but I would guarantee it needs repairs or it wouldn't be gathering dust like that downstairs for 40 years...
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Make a coil. its not hard. all you need is just a shaft, a slug, and some wire of the right gauge. I had to do this because:

my old silvertone B&W set, I accidently broke the 4.5MC trap, and sound IF coil, its not made of one, but TWO slugs on a long shaft. oops. anyway, i pulled a slug and shaft from an old chassis, and then rewinded the coil.

I just unwinded the coil, counting each turn one by one. so i knew how to rewind it, and done it. it worked, now it needs a recap.