Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyfilm View Post
Lightfoot,

To see what the UV199 is, go to:

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheetsU.html

and down load the PDF for the tube.

It also shows a typical circuit.

James.
The circuits shown are only detector or amplifier circuits... the complete radio circuit is probably similar to this one tube Crosley 50.

jr

Last edited by Electronic M; 06-22-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: to make link visible
Old 06-22-2016, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
The circuits shown are only detector or amplifier circuits... the complete radio circuit is probably similar to this one tube Crosley 50.

jr
Hi jr , Something very weird , when I look at your post I can't see the link to the crosley , but when I quote your post to reply to you the link appears ? I wonder of this is a setting on my end or something with VK , like the way I get the weird "Align OrderedUnorderedDecreaseIncreaseInsertRemove" script at the top of the reply page ?

Anyway , Yes I'll bet the Crosley single tube will be a great schematic reference for Rachelle if she decides to try to get it to work .

And Rachelle , there will be one other adjustment besides the ones on the front of the radio that you may need to be familiar with if you try to run it . Inside the radio there will be what's called a "Grid Leak Resistor" that will usually be adjustable between around 2 to 20 Meg Ohms , give or take a few . Some are and some aren't adjustable .

Edited to add pictures . This is a typical adjustable grid leak as found in radios such as yours . See how the meter changes as the adjustment is pulled out or pushed in ? Adjusting this will be part of operating your radio if yours is adjustable , some are and some aren't and I figured if yours is , you would need to know about it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grid leak 1.jpg (45.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Grid leak 2.jpg (34.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by init4fun; 06-22-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
M is for Memory

Jr: The reason your link was not visible was that you pasted it in [url] brackets....Those brackets don't seem to serve a purpose. If you want your links to be visible and work just paste them in without the [url] brackets.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-22-2016, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi jr , Something very weird , when I look at your post I can't see the link to the crosley , but when I quote your post to reply to you the link appears ? I wonder of this is a setting on my end or something with VK , like the way I get the weird "Align OrderedUnorderedDecreaseIncreaseInsertRemove" script at the top of the reply.
That's weird... wonder if other viewers are not seeing the schematic? Some of the features on this site appear to be somewhat disfunctional since AK changed their format. For example, the labels for the various function buttons at the top of the message box have disappeared, but I remembered tha the web image paste button is the 5th from the right on the bottom row and used it to paste the link. This was done using Safari browser on a iPad mini...wonder if that could be a problem?
For grins, here is a picture of a Crosley 50, linked by the same method:

does that show up?
Note the odd "open book" style (Crosley patent?) tuning capacitor rather than the more common style tuning capacitor with multiple rotating plates.

Also, I attached a photo taken yesterday with the i Pad camera of the dim light that is given off by a 199 (long pin version) when connected to a 3 Volt supply...is that visible?

jr

edit add: Thanks Tom... here is the raw link, pasted in without using the "image" button:
http://www.crosleyradios.com/pics/50.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (137.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 06-22-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add raw link
Old 06-22-2016, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes , Thank You EM for telling us about the mistaken URL being what made his link invisible . And also Thank You JR for the pictures of the Crosley , the "open Book" capacitor is really cool , all your stuff shows up fine now . I remember seeing a late 20s early 30s Crosley cathedral that had such a setup being used for the volume control , the radio's circuits all ran "wide open" and the open book coupled or decoupled the antenna into the circuit , thereby raising or lowering the volume . I can't recall the model since it was one I repaired for a friend and not my own collection but I remember thinking it's gotta be the noisiest thing in the presence of any RFI .
Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2016, 01:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

This gets stranger and stranger... the Crosley schematic does not show on several computers that if tried after Tom changed the "image" link that I originally posted, nor does it show up anymore on the my post quoted by init4fun. It does, however show up on my iPad that I used to make the initial post, even though I have cleared its cache.

For grins, I will try the image button on the "reply to thread" box again, to see if it shows up.

Also the "raw link"

http://www.crosleyradios.com/battery...-Schematic.pdf

Do these show up?

jr

EDIT ADD: AHHH! I see the difference... the schematic of the Crosley is a pdf, while the pix of the Crosely is a jpg image file... slaps forehead!

EDIT ADD2: Tried it on an older MacBook that had not been turned on in months (so it would not have the image in cache anywhere)... could not see the pictures in Firefox browser but could see them with Safari browser. Apparently, Safari will interpret a linked pdf file tagged "img" correctly while firefox does not appear to.

Last edited by jr_tech; 06-22-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add comment #2
Old 07-10-2016, 01:57 PM
electronics packrat

These early sets have started popping up again recently. I guess I'm gonna have to start working on my Westingale soon as I can find a speaker and the tubes for it.