Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaximus View Post
To say that I am obsessed with finding information about this thing before it arrives would be an understatement. I think I may have found it here on RadioMuseum.org, listed as a 1942 model having the extremely rare JM-1C changer/recorder.

Dave
If that is the model than it is really going to be something! 4 6L6 output tubes (likely in push-pull-parallel) like my 1946 Magnavox, and a total of 22 tubes should make for a really hot receiver with good POWERFUL audio.

The down side if it is a 1942 model is the possibility of only having the pre-war FM (FM really changed freqs in 1941 because of TV taking over it's old spectrum). There are ways of getting pre-war FM sets to work (some good threads here about that too), but it can be a hassle.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Well, I got some more pics. Turns out that it is a Model 60!

Dave

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

You know we are all hating you, with love, right now. We all want this thing.

That said, I can't wait to see it when you get it into your hands!!!

Bruce
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
M is for Memory

Dang, you done real good!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

PIcked up this '58 Fisher C-800 Contemporary on Saturday. These pics were taken when I first unloaded it. I hadn't had a chance to clean it up yet and it's obvious the dial lights need to be replaced. Other than that, it works quite well and handily bests my '56 Fisher Custom Futura in sound quality.

Dave

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nordmende

Drove an hour to pick up this Nordmende Sterling Caruso 583D for the princely sum of $20. The owner was a fellow radio geek trimming his collection for an upcoming move. The best part about this console is that all the tubes have been replaced. The only item it appears to lack is a new idler for the turntable. I'm not complaining.

Last edited by gmann77; 05-22-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 AM
M is for Memory

Tubes tend to usually be good as found in most radios, and maybe just a tiny fraction bad in most TVs.......If you find a set in the wild with a large portion of the tubes bad then you may want to worry about the possibility that some calamity caused their destruction along with other parts.

To illustrate I have a Blauplunkt console from around that vintage that had the cord cut and most of the tubes blown......After replacing them it worked great except for the AM band which is dead....Someday I'll try and track the issue down, but most likely it got hit by lightning or a power surge while running on the AM band.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Got the R-20 chassis of my Fisher C-800 cleaned up:

Before

After

Replaced the dial lamps:

Also got the turntable cleaned up, lubed and working perfectly:

Currently hooked up to my Rectilinear III's as I look for replacement grill cloth:

Dave

Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

The Musaphonic Has Landed!

Well, it got delivered today. I pulled the back off and was surprised to see Jensen speakers inside. The amp chassis looks to be mounted from underneath. This thing weighs more than 250lbs, so getting that chassis out should be fun. I haven't been able to find any dates codes yet. Did I mention just how cool the microphone is?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Here's a better look at the turntable and the record-cutting head.

Dave

Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

This chassis must weigh 50lbs by itself. The tubes appear to be the original 4 GE 6L6G's and 2 5U4G's. I don't think I've ever encountered transformers quite this big.

Dave

Old 05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yippie! I want one, too!!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's just too perfect for words. Are the Jensen speakers original to the set?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasonic66 View Post
That's just too perfect for words. Are the Jensen speakers original to the set?
As far as I know.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Consoles 'Я' Us

What a testament to the pride and craftsmanship that Americans put into their work years ago. I thought I owned some pretty decent furniture/pieces, but this puts them all to shame. Here I am, some 70 years after this was made and with very little time and effort, it looks like this. No plywood, no MDF, no pressed-industrial-waste. Just good, clear American hardwood. And under the hood is just as robust if not more so. I truly can't imagine what it might cost to produce this today or if it would even be possible.

Dave

Audiokarma