Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello from MI

HI everybody!

Name here is Steve and I've been reading the forums for the past few weeks. Looks like a good community with people of all skill and experience levels working cooperatively to keep these old sets in service and out of the landfills.

Personally, I have rather extensive experience repairing and restoring old radios; I lost count at 72, and that was 15 years ago :-) I haven't (until very recently) worked on tube-type TVs since the late 70s/early 80s, but, inspired by a cool RCA portable on the set of the CBS morning show, I picked up a similar set that i'm restoring to use and display in my office. So far, that projects going well and, aside from the body work (metal cabinet) I expect it to be up and running in the next week... The chassis is reasonably clean, all paper caps have been replaced and I'm just wiating for a couple of the HV Lytics to move on to the testing and adjustment phase. It's been a fun project, more challenging than most (but not all) of the radios I've restored.

Reading the comments of others, I don't think I need to explain why I enjoy breathing life back into these things when, economically it makes no sense to do so. What can I say? It's fun and my brain is wired incorrectly.

All the best to everone here, and I look forward to learning from the collective wisdom of the group.

-Steve