Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:46 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I think I figured out why the UHF wasn't working right. I removed the bow-tie antenna, Deoxited the screw terminals, and it improved significantly. Now to figure out what's wrong with the picture. I know that the lateral magnet has slid over some, as there is a very pronounced haze to the right of everything. It's extremely difficult for me to move this beast in my teeny weeny bedroom. I actually got stuck in here because the way I was sliding it made it move towards the door and I had to move it backwards about six inches by myself.

I tried watching the Admiral tonight, but I eventually just switched to my CTC-25, because the ghosting and the blue haze just got to me. Plus the UHF is extremely touchy. I will definitely be cleaning and and adjusting this thing. Maybe when I get some help.

Last edited by TUD1; 09-21-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:50 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Here is the magenta window circle from my Sencore VG91. As you can see, the focus on the Admiral isn't that great with this color.

Last edited by TUD1; 09-22-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:48 PM
TheUniversalDave1

A video of this TV is now on Youtube. Watch the video here.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Enjoyed the video. Thank you for posting.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I'm a little late to the party but that's one sweet roundie. Admiral roundie combos with a genuine Admiral chassis must be pretty scarce. For me it's usually the more unusual the better.

I've never seen a color roundie in person, but that's likely because Canada didn't get color broadcasts until 1966.
Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I'm having another problem with the Admiral, but it's not with the TV. It's actually in the radio tuner. When I try playing something through my SSTRAN, I get a really high pitched noise that is somewhat tunable, but it is omnipresent in the AM. I've heard this sound before, but it was on a 70's solid state Sony AM/FM. None of my other radios do this, tube or solid state. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. The 6AY11 in the radio tests horrible on my tester, it has shorts, grid emission, and is very weak. What do we think?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd say replace the obvious.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
I'd say replace the obvious.
Ditto. If a tube tests that bad, it would be standard practice to replace it whether or not you suspect it of being or causing a problem in the radio performance. It's not a big investment at only $3.00.

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/vacuu..._6A3-6CZ5.html

And if you are using tubes that test bad in TVs, replace them also before trying to do your troubleshooting. It makes no sense to try to work through all the components when a bad tube is so easy to replace first. It'll save a lot of hours of grief to do the obvious first there as well.

Last edited by WISCOJIM; 10-20-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Oh yes, I'm definitely changing the tube. I'm also having an issue with FM reception. There is a radio station about twenty miles to the east of me, and the Admiral is having difficulty picking it up. It's a high power FM station, and none of my other radios have any issues. I tried an external antenna and readjusting the built in.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Which station?

jr
Audiokarma
Old 10-20-2016, 11:47 PM
TheUniversalDave1

WQEN Trussville-Birmingham, 103.7 MHz
Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

If it were at the extreme top or bottom of the dial, perhaps alignment (tracking) is off, but this does not seem to be the case. 100 kw station, decent antenna height:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/f...2=&EW=W&size=9

Should be easy to receive... hopefully replacing the 6AY11 will help it as well.

jr
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Motorola Minion

Replacing the 6AY11 helped audio fidelity considerably in my console HiFi which uses the same tuner as yours. the symptom was different, static even when volume was turned down.

The 6AY11 may not solve the reception problem. One thing to look at first is the antenna input balun coil. It may be trapping-out that frequency due to an open.

Going into the tuner can should be a last resort, check the voltages at the input feed-thru caps. Use a socket extender to check voltages on the tube. Try replacing the tuner tube, a 6C9.

This Admiral pulls 'em in like my Motorola's and Zenith's do and better than my Magnavox tube consoles, but just lights the stereo light on the local flame thrower -WIOV 105.1 - 50 kW @ 15 miles away line-of-sight. 100 kW FM stations do not exist here in the crowded mid-atlantic. It could also be overloading

Do you have a schematic of the 9M1 tuner-preamp? If not, PM me with your email address and Ill scan it.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 10-25-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: changed tuner tube to 6C9
Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM
<----Zenith C845

I just looked at RadioStationWorld.com and found there are no 100kW ERP FM stations in Ohio, either--and this is the Great Lakes region, not the Mid-Atlantic.

I doubt WQEN-FM is overloading the tuner at a distance of 20 miles. I don't think 100-kW stations are even allowed on 103.7 MHz in any part of this country, so that station could not have such a powerful signal if it wanted to.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I don't think 100-kW stations are even allowed on 103.7 MHz in any part of this country, so that station could not have such a powerful signal if it wanted to.
It is clearly stated as 100 kw in the FCC page that I linked to.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 10-21-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Audiokarma