Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Opened her up. Tinkered. Wouldn't you know it? This BUZZING was due to...drumroll...

Another case of my BAD, SLOPPY soldering. Basically, some of my soldering came undone and the wires weren't touching the chassis anymore where they needed to be. Re-did them and the buzzing is gone.

I guess let this thread live on as a cautionary tale to other beginners.

Thanks, everyone for the help!

PS...Buzzing is gone but my next challenge is to properly set ACG, buzz control, and then get a nice setting on contrast and brightness. I guess that part will be trail and error.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:58 PM
M is for Memory

Glad you got it fixed.

One thing I have found very beneficial is to have a BIG 75W or higher soldering IRON. Getting any chassis ground or especially large solder joint to melt and flow with a smaller iron is at best very slow and often doesn't give good joints. You can make a small iron work (God knows I did for more than a decade) but once you have a big one at your disposal you'll want it for everything but some of the tighter/finer work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-12-2020, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Glad you got it fixed.

One thing I have found very beneficial is to have a BIG 75W or higher soldering IRON. Getting any chassis ground or especially large solder joint to melt and flow with a smaller iron is at best very slow and often doesn't give good joints. You can make a small iron work (God knows I did for more than a decade) but once you have a big one at your disposal you'll want it for everything but some of the tighter/finer work.
That's good advice because I have a small dinky iron from Harbor Freight.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

What does it mean when there is a sudden 'wind' sound coming through the set? I don't know if the term wind is good but it reminds me of the sound on an old camcorder taping on a loud, windy day. Anyway, it is like a sudden scratchy sound. It comes and goes, sometimes touching the set or the knobs induces the sound. Most of the problems I have had on this set have been to my horrible soldering.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:45 PM
M is for Memory

Sounds like an intermittent connection. Could be from a dirty pot or tube socket contact, dirty tuner, intermittent short in a tube or cold solder joint...to track it down with the set running take a small wood or plastic dowel and tap around various parts of the set and find the spot that does it with the faintest tapping...the problem will be physically close to that spot.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 05-26-2020, 08:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks friend. I will check out that the next time I open her up. Appreciate the lead.