Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

24YP4 vs. 24AEP4 vs. 24AUP4?

As you may have seen in my previous posts, I've owned an Emerson 1224 24" monochrome TV set (circa 1958) for nearly 35 years, but its picture tube blew (filament open - had possibly gone to air) in July of 2012.

According to the Photofact (in folder 410), the original CRT was a 24YP4. By the time I had acquired the set (late '79/early '80), the set had a serviceman's card inside stating that the CRT had been replaced with a 24AEP4 in 1966 (I note that the 24AEP4 works without an ion trap, whilst it is required with the 24YP4. Would the serviceman have needed only to simply toss the ion trap magnet away?)

I think I may be able to acquire a 24AUP4. I looked up the data sheet for this tube, and it seems to be quite similar to the 24AEP4, the only significant differences being that the 24AUP4 has a distinct heat-up time (11 seconds) whereas the 24AE has no such figure (note that the Emerson 1224 is series-string anyway), and the the neck of the 24AU is yet another inch shorter than that of the 24AE (which itself has a neck two inches shorter than the 24Y). All three have the same pinout (hell, I think all 24***P4 have the same pinout!).

Is there anything else I could be missing here? It the hardware mounting the front of the tube to the chassis/cabinet/mask specified in the tube type (i.e., does the 24AU need a different cabinet than the 24AE or the 24Y?)

It's been decades since I replaced a CRT of this size, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Ex-Philco

Make sure the build shape and screen surface are identical. Otherwise the tube may not fit flush against the mask or it may not mount correctly.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Where are you ? I THINK I have a 24YP4 tube in a halolight set--the set is NOT in good condition, but the tube checked pretty good on my 70 a few years back, IIRC.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Where are you ? I THINK I have a 24YP4 tube in a halolight set--the set is NOT in good condition, but the tube checked pretty good on my 70 a few years back, IIRC.
PM sent.

While on this subject, has anyone here ever heard of a 24ATP4? I have not been able to find any reference to this type on the Internet at all.