Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:56 PM
complete novice

1954 Cerwin Vega Guitar Amp schematics needed

A friend picked up this old girl and tried it out and loves it. Ive gotten him addicted to tubes. Well a pot toasted itself the other day. I convinced him to let me open it up and the wiring is dust, as well as many of the caps dont seem to be marked.

So were looking for schematics for this and cant seem to find it. The only model number that can be found is "A.54". Any help would be appreciated on this.

But at least the good thing is that he now knows the truth, these old tube setups give a way better sound than solid state.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I knew Gene Czerwinski and watched him build amplifiers in his garage in the San Fernando Valley. I am almost 100% positive that you won't find a diagram anywhere for that unit.

Having said that, Gene was not particularly an inventor, so his amplifier (I didn't realize he had built a guitar amplifier) probably was just a standard circuit.

I knew him in about 1956 or 1957 when he was an engineer at Bendix and did this stuff in his spare time for fun.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 PM
complete novice

Dang. That means im going to have to do some researching to figure out whats the caps are. Oh well, it shouldnt be that hard.

Too cool that you knew the man yourself.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recall watching him work on an amplifier. I looked at one resistor and was impressed that it was such an off brand that I had never heard of it. It was called a Foxohm resistor. I said to Gene, hey I see you are building this on the cheap with no name parts. He looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said, you mean you have never heard of Foxohm resistors? hee hee
Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
I recall watching him work on an amplifier. I looked at one resistor and was impressed that it was such an off brand that I had never heard of it. It was called a Foxohm resistor. I said to Gene, hey I see you are building this on the cheap with no name parts. He looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said, you mean you have never heard of Foxohm resistors? hee hee
I dont get it. Enlighten me, please.
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

He was tacitly admitting I was right, but playing cute with his comment. I don't think anyone but Gene ever heard of a Foxohm resistor.

For fun I did a web search on that name and came up with nothing germane.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 AM
complete novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post

For fun I did a web search on that name and came up with nothing germane.
Germane? The germans have nothing to do with this!

(yeah i stole that line from smokey and the bandit, couldnt help myself)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Buford T Justice! Great to meet you here! How's the family? Is your son still destroying police cars?

Bob91343, I had a feeling it was something like that. I've never seen anything other than speakers from C-V. I'm sadly thinking that their newer ones arent so hot anymore.