Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
M is for Memory

Sony used that style of cord for years and years....I have a 1964 Sony TV, and 70's RTR tape machines with it. The danger is though many of those cords mechanically interchange not all of them send the same voltages to the same terminals. If you ever find a set without a cord and a separate cord elsewhere it would be wise to confirm pin-out and voltage match before applying power.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Sony used that style of cord for years and years....I have a 1964 Sony TV, and 70's RTR tape machines with it. The danger is though many of those cords mechanically interchange not all of them send the same voltages to the same terminals. If you ever find a set without a cord and a separate cord elsewhere it would be wise to confirm pin-out and voltage match before applying power.
This had a hardwired power cord so there was nothing to worry about concerning whether or not the cord would be interchangable or not.
This TV was also a Cold Chassis set surprisingly enough which is the other reason why I think this TV predates the 1970s because I think that by the 1970s most portable TVs (specifically 13" or smaller sets, this set being a 9") were Hot Chassis sets, from what little research I was able to do on portable TVs.
The other dead give away is that it uses Germanium Transistors inside the unit instead of Silicone Transistors which I think that by the 1970s they started to phase out Germanium Transistors in favor of Silicone Transistors.

Last edited by Captainclock; 02-13-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Almost all if not all early sets that ran on 12 VDC used
a power transformer. Latter sets sometimes used a multivibrator
& higher voltages to run the set. RCA comes to mind. Its
all about economics.

73 Zeno
Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

And I have seen ONE GE "XB"hot chassis set--from the mid-70's or so that used a switcher to step UP the 12 volt input for the chassis. It had to be mid-70's or so.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Almost all if not all early sets that ran on 12 VDC used
a power transformer. Latter sets sometimes used a multivibrator
& higher voltages to run the set. RCA comes to mind. Its
all about economics.

73 Zeno
And Zenith continued to use cold chassis for their BW 13" sets till 1978..12KB1 chassis. Also in that period their lager BW sets----with the 19GB1 chassis--it used a VRT for power even. As did the "flat chassis BW 19FB12 chassis that came before it , a couple of us here have.
Audiokarma
Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Banned

Well Anyways I'm surprised no one on here had mentioned anything about this one being a good save, because I know that the Montgomery Wards TV I saved and posted about on here everyone was talking about and saying how much of a good save that one was but when I save this old Sony regardless of whether or not it was from the '60s or the '70s should of been considered just as good of a save because its a lot earlier than the Montgomery Wards set I saved earlier.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well Anyways I'm surprised no one on here had mentioned anything about this one being a good save, because I know that the Montgomery Wards TV I saved and posted about on here everyone was talking about and saying how much of a good save that one was but when I save this old Sony regardless of whether or not it was from the '60s or the '70s should of been considered just as good of a save because its a lot earlier than the Montgomery Wards set I saved earlier.
Fourteen responses about this set, shows there is a certain degree of interest, as in many entrees on this forum.
Yes, it was a good save!
Ask the person that has control of the disposition of electronic salvage, to let you see the items, before they cut the cords off or do other damage. The worst, they could say is "NO".
BTW, My main interest is small screen color sets, like your Wards set. As stated before, I do have several small screen B/W sets, including "jelly bean sets" but they were mostly "Freebees".
Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Fourteen responses about this set, shows there is a certain degree of interest, as in many entrees on this forum.
Yes, it was a good save!
Ask the person that has control of the disposition of electronic salvage, to let you see the items, before they cut the cords off or do other damage. The worst, they could say is "NO".
BTW, My main interest is small screen color sets, like your Wards set. As stated before, I do have several small screen B/W sets, including "jelly bean sets" but they were mostly "Freebees".
OK, that's cool. So how long does it take exactly to "wake up" a picture tube that's been asleep for a long time? Just wondering because I've been trying to use that Montgomery Wards TV fairly often recently and it seems that its still a little dim yet and hasn't completely woken up yet.
What's interesting is that they did put a couple of small portable TVs on the floor, one of them a Realistic 5" portable color TV with Video inputs and outputs on it and an external antenna connection from 1989, and the other one a Hitachi 5" B & W portable from the early 1980s with external antenna connections as well (both had their original rod antennas intact yet). Anyways It seems if the TV is a small enough portable TV they will put it out on the floor. They also had a late 1980s Sony Watchman in their donation bin one day that was still in really good shape yet that was I think scrapped out.

Last edited by Captainclock; 02-15-2016 at 10:54 AM.